• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Keeping Aperture Fixed Open On A Manual Nikkor

#11 LiftandShift
Yes I can appreciate that it makes a difference to what you are photographing but the original poster did not specify exactly what they were recording.

Shooting on "A" is not a mistake and using aperture priority along with the correct metering settings on the camera body is probably the only way of successfully making very long duration time lapse films outdoors without the use of very expensive equipment.
It would be impractical to try and shoot these types of films on M, especially when using multiple cameras. My cameras are a located on different projects 1000 miles apart.

I am talking of shooting periods lasting months though, not minutes. Having a short duration between shutter actuations is important too as it not only results in a smoother film but allows you to remove the flicker caused by changes in light levels on partially cloudy days. It does mean that you have a large amount of data but that's easily managed.

I'm not sure how your software could help reduce this further, but I would like to give it a trial. I need to find a way to combine this with automation for data handling as I deal with 100,000 jpegs at a time.

You shouldn't dismiss time lapse of construction projects, as it's probably one of the most widely used forms of time lapse photography on a commercial basis.

Adam
#12 Gunther
Hi, glad we sorted out that misunderstanding. 95% of all users here shoot short time timelapses, thus my first reaction.

However I'm not dismissing the commercially interesting long time time lapses. I have just implemented features to the commercial version that are great support for improving work with those and I do consulting work for many companies doing your kind of job and yet they were more than happy with my approaches and the help LRTimelapse can offer them to their workflow.

For example the can sort out all night scenes with a couple of klicks and detect images that are "flickering" more than a certain threshold to be able to delete them automatically. Please contact me if you are interested in those approaches and we can talk.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: