• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Ken Burns effect

#1 Sylvain Girardot
I didn't understand the way to make Kern Burns effect with LRT4 with the 5 stars tag.
Could someone explain to the community??
Thank you ++
#2 Gunther
There are some options for Ken Burns in LRT5:

1) If you just set different crops to the first image and the last image (with 4* keyframes) LRT will calculate the Ken Burns animation from start to end (and ignore any keyframes in between for the crop). This is the easiest way and recommended, if you only want a linear pan or zoom.

2) If you need more then one Keyframe for animating the crop, then just use 5* keyframes for this - those keyframes will only serve to animate the crop and not the other tools. So if you want to do a 3 point Crop animation, just set the first frame, one in the middle and the last one as 5* - the crop of those keyframes will be used to calculate the ken burns.

I've shown the crop animation in the expert tips tutorial #9: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert/

One last recommendation: because of Lightroom way of cropping I recommend doing slow 2point animations only, best without animating the rotation. So a slow pan or zoom from start to end would work best, where the angle is constant.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Sylvain Girardot
Ok, thank you, I will try that.
#4 imaginativeye
(2015-05-03, 09:58)gwegner Wrote: There are some options for Ken Burns in LRT5:

1) If you just set different crops to the first image and the last image (with 4* keyframes) LRT will calculate the Ken Burns animation from start to end (and ignore inbetween keyframes for the crop). This is the easiest way and recommended, if you only want a linear pan or zoom.

2) If you need more then one keyframe for animating the crop, then just use 5* keyframes for this - those keyframes will only serve to animate the crop and not the other tools. So if you want to do a 3 point Crop animation, just set the first frame, one in the middle and the last one as 5* - the crop of those keyframes will be used to calculate the ken burns.

One last recommendation: because of Lightroom way of cropping I recommend doing slow 2point animations only, best without animating the rotation. So a slow pan or zoom from start to end would work best, where the angle is constant.

I tried the above steps...i am still not seeing the linear pan happening. i had only 2 4* keyframes and i cropped them. it is still not panning.

on other note, i don't see 5*keyframes at all. i see only 4*keyframes. am i missing something here...plz advise
#5 Gunther
If you have 2 4* keyframes, just set a crop to the first, copy the crop to the last, then move it or resize it (keep the same aspect ratio!). Then save the metadata for those keyframes in Lightroom (as always from grid view).

Then go to LRT: reload. Check the first frame, you should see the crop as orange rectangle in the preview. Go to the last frame, you should see the other crop there. Now apply the auto transition.

Select all images in LRT (Ctrl-A) - you should see the crop animation in the preview as overlay of orange rectangles.

Save and finish the workflow.

PS: If you want to use more then 2 keyrames for crop, you would have to manually create 5* keyframes. In that case exchange the 4* keyframes at the beginning and at the end with 5* ones (in LRT press "5") and add another 5* keyframe somewhere in the middle. In Lightroom you would then have to set your keyframe crops to those 5* keyframes, otherwise it's the same.
#6 bsartist
Sorry for resurrecting and old thread. I’m new to LRT and have an issue/question about this.

Simple question first: if I change a 4 star to 5 star to make it a crop keyframe, will LRT ignore all other edits for that keyframd and only use the crop? I thought I read that a 5 star keyframe will cause LRT to *only* look at crop.

I’ll post my issue as a separate reply.
#7 bsartist
Before I read about the 5 star keyframe for crop, I tried to terminate a crop at a 4 star keyframe in the middle of my sequence. LRT ignored the zero crop in the middle of the sequence and spread the crop transition over the entire sequence. After I learned of the 5 star keyframe I added those next to the first and middle 4 star keyframes. However I could find no way at all to undo all the cropping that was applied from the first attempt I had to clear all LRT changes and start from scratch. Is there an easier way to clear crop and start over for that attribute only?
#8 Gunther
Yes, right click on the table header of one of the crop columns and choose "Initialize". This works for any other column also.
#9 bsartist
Thank you. Any comment on my question in post #6?
#10 Gunther
5 Star Keyframes is will be used for the crop animation, and 4* for everything else. The very first and last image will be both.
This allows you to animate crop and the rest independently.

...also check out: