• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Laptop Upgrade?

#1 Kensmith247
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and did a search for what I was looking for with no luck.

I'm currently doing all my post prod on my laptop, HP Pavillion 15. It was just ok ( tho slow) b4 I started using LRTimelapse with Lightroom. (Btw I love LRTimelapse).

The machine currently has:
2.1 ghz AMD Quad processor
16 GB Ram
1TB 5400rpm SATA Hard drive
AMD Radeon R7 2gB M260 graphics card &
Seagate 1TB external Hard Drive

It is really really slow with LRT. For eg today takes approx 4-5 hours exporting 1100 pics from Lightroom to LRT pre render.

I've maxed out the ram to 16 gig and cannot upgrade cpu or gpu as intergrated into motherboard.

I want to build a dedicated editing computer but can't until next year $$$.

I was thinking of upgrading my internal hard drive to an SSD to run OS and replace my optical drive with old hard drive internally as a scratch/ storage disk.. Also add an external SSD for storage and catalogue and output/ renders etc.

Does any knowledgable person out there know if this will make a substantial difference in performance?

I would welcome your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks and great forum.

Ken
Australia
#2 Gunther
I'd replace the HD with an SSD. It will substantially speed up everything. Especially timelapse.
So get yourself a 512GB SSD and put the OS on it. Put the time lapses to process on the SSD too. Once they are finished, you can move them to the HDD.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Bruiser
I replaced a hard drive in my 15 inch MacBook Pro (2012) with a SSD and the performance was phenomenal. Went from a boot up of 1.5 minutes down to 13 seconds. Lightroom, Photoshop etc now start instantly.

I'm actually tempted to buy a second hand 13inch Macbook pro for about $500 which cost about $1700 brand new where I live (They have the same specs as the 2012 model) and change the drive and use it for DSLRdashboard. As my Nexus 7 has issues due to an Android update.

SSD is the way to go!
#4 Gunther
I'd rather root the nexus 7 and install Cyanogenmod on it.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: