• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Latest DDServer firmware sysupgrade won't install

#1 mpayne
I've been running DSLRDashboard successfully with the last version of the OpenWRT firmware on a TL-MR3040v2, until the latest update.

I've downloaded the latest matching firmware image:
ddserver_openwrt-tl-mr3040-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade_0.12.bin
but this will not install; the firmware image appears to upload to the router successfully, the router light blinks for a further minute or so then returns the message "The CGI process did not produce any response". The installation does not progress beyond this point regardless of whether the router is left connected for an extended period and/or rebooted.

On logging back in to the router, the previous firmware version and settings do not appear to have changed in any respect and report as F/W version 12.09.1/LuCI 0.11 Branch, and Kernel version 3.3.8.

DSLRDashboard will still not connect to the router, which I presume confirms that the firmware has not updated.

I've tried uploading the new firmware with both IE11 and Google Chrome (on Win 8.1) and the result is the same in both cases.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
#2 hubaiz
You must wait 3-4 minutes till the firmware is updated. You will see on the MR3040 leds, after the firmware is updated they will go off and the router will restart.

Try updating with the sysupgrade image and with 'Keep settings' unchecked.
#3 mpayne
(2014-02-19, 22:17)hubaiz Wrote: You must wait 3-4 minutes till the firmware is updated. You will see on the MR3040 leds, after the firmware is updated they will go off and the router will restart.

Try updating with the sysupgrade image and with 'Keep settings' unchecked.

Many thanks for your very prompt reply, unfortunately the upgrade still doesn't work even with 'keep settings' unchecked (as attempted several times before).

The data ('Ethernet') LED flickers rapidly while the image is uploading, then more slowly for a minute or so, during which time the page header says 'Waiting for 192.168.0.1'.

Following this, the header reverts to '192.168.0.1', while the web page shows 'The CGI process did not produce any response'. The data LED now only flickers intermittently.

Using the alternative Chrome browser, there is a visible progress bar during the upload phase that reaches 100%, so it appears that the image is uploading correctly but is failing to install (the 'CGI progress no response' error message?).

At no point do the LEDs go off nor does the router reboot even after an extended wait (>20 min). I can log back into the router at the same address, which shows the old firmware still active as far as I can tell, and the old settings (e.g. previous SSID and network address) still present. Manually rebooting the router at this point brings up the previous firmware and settings as before.

I'll try again from another PC when I get the chance, just in case there is something about Win 8.1 it doesn't like, but the upgrade from the original TP-Link firmware to the last OpenWRT factory image went without a hitch using this same laptop (under Win 8.0). If it has any relevance, I have been doing this with the selector switch in the AP position, as for the initial installation.

I can't see that there is anything I've missed or am doing incorrectly, as the upgrade process should be effectively identical to the original OpenWRT installation, which was perfectly straightforward.

I must have now tried this at least five times overall, so welcome any further suggestions - it would be nice to get this working again!
#4 mpayne
UPDATE: The new DD Server sysupgrade firmware flashed first time without any problems using an old Win XP system with IE8. Presumably there is something about Win 8.1 or the specific configuration of the laptop that was previously causing the firmware upgrade to fail.

I haven't as yet run a thorough test of all the functions, but the latest DSLRDashboard now connects to the router again using the new default DDServerAP SSID and appears to operate the camera correctly, at least as far as my initial basic testing has confirmed.

Hope that's of some help to anyone else experiencing similar problems with the upgrade.
#5 hubaiz
Maybe the browser is the fault. I never used IE for upgrading the firmware, I only use Chrome.
#6 mpayne
Just for the record, it wouldn't update with Chrome either (under Win 8.1), although the upgrade from the original factory TP-Link firmware to the last OpenWRT version release dated 7 Sept 2013 had worked without any problems using IE10 or 11 (whichever was the default at the time) under Win 8.0 on the same laptop.

Maybe it's Win 8.1 that is the problem?

It seems to be working without a hitch now anyway, so thank you for an excellent piece of software.
#7 mpayne
Sorry, have just checked again and it appears that I had already upgraded from Win 8.0 to 8.1 at the time I purchased the router, so the original OpenWRT firmware installation that went faultlessly was with IE11 under Win 8.1.

Just one of those unexplained quirks, I guess.
#8 richparry
I spent about 4 hours trying to update the router to ddserver_openwrt-tl-mr3040-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade_0.12 and for the moment have given up.

I have the exact same problem mpayne had. Six seconds after selecting the option to flash new firmware, I get the message "The CGI process did not produce any response". The firmware is not updated and the router does not reboot. The LEDs do not flash.

mpayne suggests it may be a Windows 8.x issue, but I am using Windows 7 Pro so that is not the problem.

mpayne suggests it may be a browser issue, but neither Chrome or IE (latest versions) work, so that is not the problem. I have not tried Firefox.

Note that I installed the previous verson OpenWRT firmware many months ago successfully. I am trying to update to the latest version. ddserver_openwrt-tl-mr3040-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade_0.12.

Help!
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.
#9 mpayne
Hi Rich,

Sounds like the exact same problem I had. All I can suggest is that you try it from an XP machine with IE8 if you have access to one, as that worked first time for me, though I don't know if it was the hardware or the software that made the difference. I still have no idea why the update would not work initially.

I can't now recall whether I ever tried it from my main Win 7 machine - I have a feeling I may have done (unsuccessfully) when the laptop installation failed, but I didn't want to mess around with the network connections and settings if avoidable so was primarily attempting it with the laptop. In any event, the same laptop had previously worked perfectly first time with the initial OpenWRT installation.

Maybe try it with XP in a virtual machine if you don't have a real hardware installation? A bit of a fiddle to set up, but it might just do the trick if nothing else will.

Good luck.
#10 richparry
I still have router update problem, but can now add that I have tried it on 4 machines (2 laptops, 2 desktop). I have also tried it on 3 browsers (FF, IE, Chrome). Also tried on 3 OSs (Windows 7 Pro, 8.1, and Linux RH Fedora 20).

All that is left that I haven't tried is my Mac. I don't have XP.

Rich
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.

...also check out: