• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Timelapse overcompensates night shots

#1 mkay
Hello can someone explain why the curve and holy grail method is messing up my time lapse. it blows out everything. The HG Lum Level is too aggressive by the end of it!

Once I import into LightRoom the last frame make it look like blue hour when it really isn't any more. Am I too far away? When I am too close I blow out the lights.

Timelapse was shot in: f4/250@ISO200 ------> f4/1.6"@ISO200

I actually want to keep frame 553 that dark, do I just adjust the values of the HG Lum and make it a straight line? It will introduce flicker right?

I have been using this for a while and this is the first time its done this with a day to night lapse.

Please help! There has to be some way to adjust this Sad
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Holy Grail Wizard will only smoothen the sequence. You can use the sliders to bring the orange curve as close to the middle line as you can. Then it will be rather neutral. But again - this is only for smoothing. Just use the regular keyframes to get the brightness progression as you feel it's right. The Holy Grail Wizard doesn't know about that... :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 mkay
Hello Gunther -- Thank you for the reply but then everything else in the picture starts 'too dark' I think a selection box of the bottom of the screen does the curce smoothing the best. Because of the shape of the curve the sliders dont really help. Sad
#4 mkay
Just reread your post so if I add less keyframes then the curve will fix itself? Or do I need to add more?
#5 Gunther
They won't fix themselves. Just bring the curve as choose to the middle as possible and set the brightness via the exposure slider on the keyframes in Lightroom manually. I'd advise to not using too many keyframes, this will make it easier when editing them in Lightroom.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
#6 mkay
Luminance and Exposure aren't the same thing though right, because exposure makes the entire picture much darker. I selected a part of the picture that creates a more equal progression and then I rotated it. I will check to see if this is better. Thank you for the help. Is there a way to prevent this when I am shooting in the field?
#7 Gunther
Of course you can use any other slider in Lightroom to to edit the keyframes to the visual appearance that you want. Exposure. Shadows, Highlights, Parametric Tonecurve etc. That's the purpose of LRTimelapse.

When shooting just take care to capture all details, check the histogram, don't blow the highlights. Create the visual appearance then in Lightroom when editing the keyframe.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
#8 mkay
I did keep the exposure @ 0 the whole time and at night its very very hard to not blow highlights of car headlights, signs, and lamps. I am shooting raw but my equipment isn't the best so I would like to stay as close to the 'true' picture as possible exposure doesn't always look great. What does the HG Lum Level actually mean, is there a slider in LR, or LG is a combination of adjusted levels? Lets say I stayed out there longer and now said I wont go below 1.6" and ramped my ISO @ 200--> 400. Would the lum curve then drop again because of the brightness? Was I supposed to do this earlier? Is it better to stick around the same shutter, and ramp ISO instead? I just wanted the blur of headlights going into the night shots...
#9 Gunther
The lum leveling works on exposure on a background layer. You will have to use the regular exposure slider to set the exposure to the desired level. You don't need to fear to loose quality, if the wizard pulls exposure up and you drag it down again. Just do the workflow as it's supposed to be done and you'll get good results. Every adjustment is relative and altogether they define the look of the final images. Just ignore the numbers in the exposure slider. They are relative.

...also check out: