• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

locking aperture on Sony A7 for a flickr free holy grail transition

#1 panoramia
Dear fellow timelapsers,

I am wondering if any of use are using the Sony A7 mirrorless camera for your timelapses.

I've got a problem I need to solve, it's about fixing the aperture to avoid frickr free transitions. In my Canon 5D Mark II I detach the lens from the body, add a sticker to the sensor so there is no communication with the camera, this will give me a fixed aperture througout the timelapse, the famouse lens twist trick, it works perfect.

But it seems this doesn't work on Sony A7. I have Sony A7 + Fotodiox Canon to Sony adapter so I can use my 16-35mm and 70-200mm canon lenses on my Sony A7.

The problem is that they told me the lens twist trick won't work on Sony A7. How can I solve that problem? How can I set a fix aperture on Sony A7 and my canon lenses for a holy grail transition.

Anybody that has gone through this before me?

Thanks in advanced for your time and support.

Have a great day.
Greetings from Spain
Alfonso
#2 Gunther
BTW, did you find a way?
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Willyao814
Hi, I'm was thinking of the same setup for a equipment upgrade, then i find out the video on Dave Dugdale's youtube channel that, fotodiox(and many others) adapters creates unwanted flare on sensor when aiming around strong light sources, are you noticing this? If this is a big issue, then i might not considering using adapters anymore, maybe not even Sony cameras.
Thanks in advance!
#4 keksi
how about using manual lenses instead?
#5 panoramia
I haven't found any solution yet for using Canon lenses with Sony A7 camera. I've read about many lens adapters, none of them is free of problems, even famous Metabones.

I have a friend who just purchased a lens adapter with manual aperture control, that could be a solution, will be testing it soon on my A7. Buying Sony lenses would be the perfect solution but I have a few canon lenses, duplicating lenses is something I can't do right now.

If anybody knows about an adapter and a solution to avoid flickering by using Canon lenses on Sony A7 camera, please let me know, I would be very grateful to you.

Thanks a lot
Cheers,
Alfonso
#6 Gunther
To be honest, I don't care about aperture flicker anymore I just rely on the new visual deflicker in LRT4. Just give it a try - it makes life so much easier when shooting!
In fact I do full 3-way rampings (incuding Aperture) on my automatic Nikon Lenses and there was not a single sequence where I couldn't get a silkysmooth result after Visual Deflickering them.
#7 panoramia
Thanks for your reply Gunther. I have seen that LRT4 visual deflicker is very powerful, I love it.

This message is to let you know that I found a solution to connect Canon lenses to Sony A7 cameras to prevent flickering and a way to lock aperture.

What I do is the lens twist trick on my Canon lens on my Canon 5D Mark II camera. That is, press the depth of field button and lock aperture to the desired F, and detach the lens. Now the lens has the desired aperture. I then detach the Sony lens from the Sony A7 body and attache the Sony to Canon lens adapter.. Then I place a transparent sticker on Canon's lens adapter right at the metal contact where communication happens to prevent communitcation between Canon lens and Sony A7 body.

Once I've done that, Canon won't be able to change the Canon lens aperture. I won't have control of the aperture but in a transition is what I want. Both exporure and focus is done manually since there is no communication, but that's what I always do on all timelapses.

That's the trick I used, tested it last night by shooting 2 timelapses and they worked really well, I must say I also used LTR4 visual deflickr which problem would have solved the deflicker problem as you suggested, but the trick works and locks Canon lenses aperture, but you need to have a Canon camera with you to lock the aperture, I use both Canon 5D and Sony A7 for my timelapses, so it's fine for now.

The problems that I have now have to do with DslrDashboard, it has many bugs, min and mas iso dropdown are not showing ISO, the max expesore is not respected sometimes and last night it want up to 30 seconds when the limit was at 4 seconds. Wrote Zoltan a few times in the past month, posted bugs in his forum and he's been muted, missing in combat. Dashboard is very unstable, pity ;(

Cheers,
Alfonso
#8 Gunther
Hi Alfonso, thanks for the tips.
Regarding qDDB I know that Zoltan is working on some issues on iOS, but I can only say, that on my Nexus 7 (android) it works very well and I use it all the time.

...also check out: