• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Locking down the darkest part of an eclipse time lapse

#1 dwhitebread
I made a time lapse of the eclipse, and would like to keep the darkest part of totality true to the original image.  I tried placing a keyframe in the middle of that period, so it wouldn't get caught up in Holy Grail adjustments, but even with that, Visual Deflicker pulls it lighter.  I understand this is an unusual situation, but being able to lock down a portion of a time lapse as a high priority area would come in handy other times.  Is there a way to manage this?
#2 Gunther
Check the curves. Make sure to set the smoothing value not too high in visual deflicker.
You could add well deflicker first and then (re) edit the keyframes to your liking and apply auto transition again.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 dwhitebread
I tried that, but in many cases, it's hard to make post-deflicker adjustments that restore the keyframe images to their original look. I also tried deflickering in sections between the keyframes, but that's a ton of work and hard to get right.

Please let me put in a request for the option to apply Deflicker around the keyframes, so they remain untouched. That way someone could apply a lot of Deflicker between the keyframes to smooth out any short-term irregularities, and then have the option to apply a little more to the whole sequence if needed to improve the overall look of the video.
#4 Gunther
It shouldn't be haed since deflicker and holy grail wizard only do linear corrections via exposure on background layers.

Deflicker shouldn't alter the keyframe too much anyway. If you have flicker so severe that Deflicker totally changed the look you are doing something wrong.
And I think it would definitely not be a good idea to let Deflicker leave the keyframe out, since this would introduce visible luminance flicker at the keyframe.
I'd recommend to use a lower smoothing setting when deflickering, this will prevent the keyframe from get changed so much in brightness. And if you still need to correct afterwards just follow my advice in my last post.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 dwhitebread
You're right. Other than the eclipse, I've only had problems with this when my Holy Grail exposures got way off track and I wanted LRT to save me, so used too much Deflicker. Handy to know that Deflicker and HG Wizard only use exposure compensations. Thanks.

...also check out: