• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

LOFOTEN 8K - My first 8K timelapse project!

#1 jorn-t
LOFOTEN 8K - My first 8K timelapse project!

https://youtu.be/OWv4bGicug8

Photographed in one intensive week in Lofoten, Northern Norway, plus a few days travelling back and forth from Trondheim where I live.
Edited in roughly six weeks using Lightroom, LRTimelapse (of course Wink) and Premiere Pro.

Cameras: Nikon D850 (a real timelapse monster) and D750
Lenses: Sigma Art 14mm f/1.8, 20mm f/1.4, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4. (Amazingly sharp!)

1.5 TB of RAW footage.
7 TB of 16-bit TIFF files rendered from Lightroom and ProRes footage with maximum quality.
Master file from Premiere Pro, 231 GB ProRes 4444 16-bit, was too big to upload to YouTube, so I had to re-render, upload and wait a couple of days for YouTube to process it in 8K.

Hope you like it!

- Jørn - https://www.instagram.com/jorntommeras/
#2 Dale Davis
Jorn:

That was wonderful! Absolutely spectacular. I watched it twice, then showed it to my wife and watched it again! WOW! I cannot believe the clarity of 8K! I want to do that!!! Is the D850 significantly better than the D750? I use two D750's for my time-lapses. Was this photography done on an organized photo tour?
Dale Davis
Miami
https://vimeo.com/user14373767
#3 rodrigo
Jorn, spectacular, brilliant piece of time lapse, congratulations.
#4 jorn-t
Dale: Thank you so much! The Sigma Art lenses are razor sharp to the edges, a good investment if you want sharp photos. They are cheaper than Nikon equivalents, and still sharper - but very heavy! So heavy it becomes a problem if you're bringing several of them. Some of the wide angles are 1-1.2 kilos each!

Nikon D850 is just gorgeous for timelapse, with the built-in timelapse functionality it has a good timer set up, and you can use auto ISO which uses the lowest possible ISO until shutter speed reaches the interval, for instance 4 sec shutter and 5 sec interval. Then ISO ramps up automatically as it gets darker. (Not working as intented for milky way photos though, a bit annoying)

The built in timelapse smoothing is fantastic! It uses non-standard ISO-values like 110, 120, 360, 370 and so on - which more or less eliminates the main problem of time lapses - flicker, and to be precise, contrast flicker for LRTimelapse users like me who like to increase clarity and contrast in Lightroom. The D850 also has the best dynamic range of almost any camera out there, you can raise the shadows and reveal an impressive amount of detail from the dark areas.

D750 is also a good companion, better in low light according to DXOMark, but lower resolution, and it lacks the touch screen and button lights which is often handy at night. Got the D750 at a Black Friday sale for a bargain, so it was a good investment. D750 cannot photograph in silent mode, which means you will wear the shutter quickly.

The D850 on the other hand, I've taken 200000 photos and shutter wear is maybe one tenth, 20000 photos or so - since a sequence of 500 shots just requires 1 shutter cycle, plus a couple of test images. Silent mode eats more battery though.
#5 jorn-t
Dale: it was not an organized photo tour, I live in Norway and I've visited Lofoten several times, but this was the first time I went for photography only. It was a long drive though.. Lofoten has become a very busy place mid summer, I would not recommend going there in july. Hotels are expensive, but you can find local gems much cheaper on AirBnb.

Also remember the mid summer photo light is not ideal during daytime, the sun is up all night at mid summer, but you can do golden hour photography between 10 pm to 5 am. With the midnight sun, there is no blue hour! Big Grin

During winter, you have the opposite, many hours of blue hour light at daytime, but no sun, and completely dark most of the time. If you want to go for aurora borealis photography, check the aurora forecast and weather forecast first!

Rodrigo: Thank you so much Smile
#6 MartinA-P
The Lofoten Islands have been on my travel list for a long time. I hope soon ... sometime ... in the near future ... to be able to tick it.
Spectacular shots. Many Thanks.

...also check out: