• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for a dark frame subtraction solution for the Mac

#1 eric
Hello,

I just started making time lapses. Given the nature of the work that I'm interested in doing, I would like to use dark frame subtraction in post, rather than have the camera do it.

Can anyone recommend any batch dark frame subtraction solutions for the Mac? Preferably for under $150 (I can't justify buying Photoshop just for dark frame subtraction).

I tried RawTharapee and it is simple enough to use, but the exported images are 16-bit TIFF (huge/slow) and don't work with LRTimelapse.
#2 motleypixel
(2012-01-28, 21:24)eric Wrote: Hello,

I just started making time lapses. Given the nature of the work that I'm interested in doing, I would like to use dark frame subtraction in post, rather than have the camera do it.

Can anyone recommend any batch dark frame subtraction solutions for the Mac? Preferably for under $150 (I can't justify buying Photoshop just for dark frame subtraction).

I tried RawTharapee and it is simple enough to use, but the exported images are 16-bit TIFF (huge/slow) and don't work with LRTimelapse.

Eric,

Out of curiosity, why do you require a black-frame subtraction? Do you shoot Canon CR2 and use ACR or LR? Just recently I discovered (help from Tom Lowe), that Canon sRAW burns in hot pixels and ACR doesn't automatically remove them, but full RAW does remove hot pixels.

-Roy

Roy Niswanger
motleypixel.com
#3 eric
(2012-02-03, 20:00)motleypixel Wrote: Eric,

Out of curiosity, why do you require a black-frame subtraction? Do you shoot Canon CR2 and use ACR or LR? Just recently I discovered (help from Tom Lowe), that Canon sRAW burns in hot pixels and ACR doesn't automatically remove them, but full RAW does remove hot pixels.

-Roy

I want dark frame subtraction done in post, because my Sony a55 will only correct for exposures up to 30" and in other cases, I want an interval less than twice the shutter speed between exposures. I'm using LR.

...also check out: