• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Anyone got the new Rhino Slider?

#1 richparry
After waiting nearly a year, I think the Rhino Carbon Fiber slider (Version 2) is shipping, anyone have one?

https://rhinocameragear.com/products/mot...der-bundle

Rich
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.
#2 richparry
No need to answer, I just got an email from Rhino saying my slider is shipped, so I'll be able to answer my own question soon enough.
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.
#3 Sinder
So do you recommend Rhino EVO Rich?
#4 richparry
Sinder,

Good question, the answer is YES, I would recommend the Rhino EVO slider but read the following.

I had the Kessler Pocket dolly for years, it was expensive and superb, but it was so damn heavy I never used it. The Rhino EVO is made of carbon fiber and very light. But when you add a motor, controller, ball head, and support system, it is still pretty heavy. Nevertheless, it is still mobile, so I like it. It is probably one of the lightest sliders around.

Motion setup is extremely easy, perhaps too easy. They made it idiot proof which is part of the problem. The MOTION CONTROLLER does too many things automatically. It sets the INTERVAL, which can be a problem. It takes that parameter away from you. Simplifying set can be an advantage, but if you want complete control, you don’t have it, you can’t set the interval separately.

I have found a work around for not being able to set the interval, so it doesn’t bother me. However, I think if I wanted to shoot a Holy Grail sequence and use qDSLR DashBoard, I might be stuck. Fortunately HG no longer interests me, it is neat, but too much work. HG impresses other TL photographers, but it is not that important to me.

For me the biggest negative is the inability to see the MOTION CONTROLLER LED display during the day. At night, the display is easy to read, but during the day any light makes the display IMPOSSIBLE to see. I put a coat/jacket over my head to shield the light and use a Loupe to view the display, this is terrible, but I live with it.

I have both the 24 inch and 42 inch sliders, the MOTION CONTROLLER, and the Flywheel. I would recommend it, but if HG is important to you and you aren’t willing to live with a difficult to read controller display, then you might want to re-think the purchase.

The support at Rhino is excellent, they are a great group of folks. I believe they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Hope this helps.
Rich
#5 richparry
Sinder,

You should also read my other thread on this subject.

http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-anyo...6#pid29166
#6 Primecut
(2016-08-18, 19:41)richparry Wrote: Sinder,

You should also read my other thread on this subject.

http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-anyo...6#pid29166

Hello Rich,

I have just discovered this lack of interval control on the Rhino Motion and found this thread. You said you´ve managed a workaround, would you mind sharing it?
Thanks a lot

...also check out: