• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LR Default Camera Settings

#1 ashfleeburgooben
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with this. I have LR set to import photos from specific cameras (my 5D mkii) with different settings than default. For instance, I turn the blacks slider off by default instead of the 5 that LR wants to give it.

Now when I use LRT, initialize, and then import in LR all those changes are back (pictures have 5 Blacks again). I also notice a slight colour change. Is there a way to change the defaults the LRT applies to images that I initialize in it? Would like to know if possible, and which settings would need to be adjusted.

EDIT: Just checked and the colour change seems to be due to a default white balance setting that LRT applies. Is there a way to automatically have the white balance set to "As Shot"?

Thanks
#2 Gunther
Hi, one reason LRTimelapse initializes Sequences is that we must get rid of thos "As Shot" or another predefined settings because they cannot be animated. So if you set WB to "As shot" you'll get into trouble.

The defaults that LRTimelapse initializes correspond to the defaults Lightroom sets. That's the reason for the blacks slider being to "5" - LR3 initializes it that way as well.

I suggest you start with the initialized sequences and create yourself a develop preset that for example sets the Blacks to 0 if you really want to. Please only include settings you really must change into this preset. And please don't set the WB to "As Shoot!". In any case it makes a lot of sense to set the WB manually.

BTW: In LR4 the "Blacks" problem is gone anyway, the blacks slider is on 0 in neutral position there.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 ashfleeburgooben
Thanks for the info. Might have to finally upgrade to Lightroom 4 I suppose. That blacks issue drives me crazy. Just out of curiosity, is there a settings file somewhere that I could edit to default all the blacks to 0, or is the preset route just the way I'll have to deal with it?

And just to clarify, I shouldn't choose any of the WB settings? Are they not just setting the temp and tint numbers to preset defaults? For instance shade is giving me Temp 7500 and Tint +10 whereas As Shot is giving me Temp 4850 and +1. If I chose Shade for the first image in the sequence and As Shot for the last they wouldn't animate between the two frames based on the Temp and Tint settings?

Normally when I am on location I'll shoot a white balance image so that I don't have to change it later in post is why I am asking. I'd love to not have to change it in lightroom after the fact because LRT presets everything and expects you to change it after. What about a different circumstance where you aren't planning on animating a changing white balance? Does it matter if you choose the presets then?

(2012-07-30, 09:24)gwegner Wrote: Hi, one reason LRTimelapse initializes Sequences is that we must get rid of thos "As Shot" or another predefined settings because they cannot be animated. So if you set WB to "As shot" you'll get into trouble.

The defaults that LRTimelapse initializes correspond to the defaults Lightroom sets. That's the reason for the blacks slider being to "5" - LR3 initializes it that way as well.

I suggest you start with the initialized sequences and create yourself a develop preset that for example sets the Blacks to 0 if you really want to. Please only include settings you really must change into this preset. And please don't set the WB to "As Shoot!". In any case it makes a lot of sense to set the WB manually.

BTW: In LR4 the "Blacks" problem is gone anyway, the blacks slider is on 0 in neutral position there.
#4 Gunther
(2012-07-30, 20:39)ashfleeburgooben Wrote: Thanks for the info. Might have to finally upgrade to Lightroom 4 I suppose.
The engine of LR4 is a huge improvement, especially when ramping values!

Quote:That blacks issue drives me crazy. Just out of curiosity, is there a settings file somewhere that I could edit to default all the blacks to 0, or is the preset route just the way I'll have to deal with it?
no, currently there is no way to define the initialization presets.

Quote:And just to clarify, I shouldn't choose any of the WB settings? Are they not just setting the temp and tint numbers to preset defaults? For instance shade is giving me Temp 7500 and Tint +10 whereas As Shot is giving me Temp 4850 and +1. If I chose Shade for the first image in the sequence and As Shot for the last they wouldn't animate between the two frames based on the Temp and Tint settings?
LRT initializes to "Custom" and some default values. Normally it makes sense to edit the WB manually. If you work with presets ramping of WB will not work and you might run into trouble. The reason ist: as long as Presets are set Lightroom will take those values and not the numeric ones. So LRT cannot animate the values.

Quote:What about a different circumstance where you aren't planning on animating a changing white balance? Does it matter if you choose the presets then?
Yes, but then you must synchronize these settings manually to all images in Lightroom and ramping will not be possible.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 ashfleeburgooben
Thanks so much! This clears up a lot for me. I really appreciate your help. Smile

(2012-07-30, 22:12)gwegner Wrote:
(2012-07-30, 20:39)ashfleeburgooben Wrote: Thanks for the info. Might have to finally upgrade to Lightroom 4 I suppose.
The engine of LR4 is a huge improvement, especially when ramping values!

Quote:That blacks issue drives me crazy. Just out of curiosity, is there a settings file somewhere that I could edit to default all the blacks to 0, or is the preset route just the way I'll have to deal with it?
no, currently there is no way to define the initialization presets.

Quote:And just to clarify, I shouldn't choose any of the WB settings? Are they not just setting the temp and tint numbers to preset defaults? For instance shade is giving me Temp 7500 and Tint +10 whereas As Shot is giving me Temp 4850 and +1. If I chose Shade for the first image in the sequence and As Shot for the last they wouldn't animate between the two frames based on the Temp and Tint settings?
LRT initializes to "Custom" and some default values. Normally it makes sense to edit the WB manually. If you work with presets ramping of WB will not work and you might run into trouble. The reason ist: as long as Presets are set Lightroom will take those values and not the numeric ones. So LRT cannot animate the values.

Quote:What about a different circumstance where you aren't planning on animating a changing white balance? Does it matter if you choose the presets then?
Yes, but then you must synchronize these settings manually to all images in Lightroom and ramping will not be possible.

...also check out: