• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT 4.6 laggy playback

#1 JonasHøholt
Hello,

I've been a user of LRtimelapse for a couple of years now, but since upgrading to LRT4 Pro I've encountered problems when playing back the visual preview.
The playback is way too laggy to check for flicker etc.  

It plays back at 30fps at maybe the first half or full second after i press the play button, but then the playback falls into heavy stuttering at something like 3-4 fps.

My preview settings under Edit -> settings are:
Preview dimensions: 853 x 480
Preview JPG Quality: 70

I have checked on my RAM, CPU and Harddrive multiple times when playing back, and they are not occupied by other applications

Thats why I'm guessing it may be a bug in LRT4 ?

NOTE: This has been an issue ever since I upgraded to LRT4 with the visual preview introduction

I'm on a PC with specs:
64GB Ram
i7 Multicore (12 cores)
LRT4 is installed on a SSD drive (internal)
RAW files are placed on a standard 7200 rpm sata HDD (internal)

Anyone else experiencing this?

appreciating your help!
Best,
Jonas, Denmark.
#2 Gunther
Is it only the visual previews that do not play back smoothly or the regular previews too?
LRT always plays the previews from memory. If the sequence has been fully loaded and all previews have been generated (blue and/or pink curve complete) it should play back smoothly. Never had any problems with that.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 JonasHøholt
The regular preview is a bit laggy too, however not quite as much as the visual preview, which is often times useless due to bad playback.

Since you havn't encountered problems with this before I suspect my PC needs an update of the CPU driver.
Did some testing yesterday and I actually encounter som heavy drop frame in other applications like After effects and Premiere.

I'll try and update my system, but if you have another take on what the problem might be, please let me know.

Best,
Jonas
#4 Gunther
Check task manager, if there is some other application periodically grabbing processor power.
#5 Madox
Hello,

I too have the same problem.
Original Preview works perfectly, but Visual Preview lag.
I updated my graphics driver, but nothing changes.

It seems that my configuration should be able to make a viewing without lag.

HP Z840 Xeon E5-2680-v3 / 32GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro M5000

Greetings
#6 Gunther
On my system I see no difference. But I will have a look.
#7 Gunther
Checked and you are right. Visual Previews currently have larger dimensions (in memory) then the camera previews. In the next update to 4.6 I will scale them down to the previews size set in the LRTimelapse settings, like it's currently already happening for the camera previews. This should increase the playback performance then. Thanks for finding this and notifying me!
#8 Madox
It works perfectly now with version 4.7.
Thank you.

You still have the same PC configuration?
http://gwegner.de/blog/mein-neuer-rechne...arbeitung/

I'm surprised you do not have this lag.
What is your resolution for the preview?

This may be due to the low frequency of my processor (2.5Ghz) and the player uses a single thread.

Greetings.
#9 Gunther
Great, you're welcome. It has more performance on my system now too (it's still the one from the blog post), but the difference was not very obvious before, that's why I didn't notice it. But I don't use the playback that frequently, mostly I just quickly scrub though the sequence if necessary. Preview size was 750x500 before, now I set it to 900x600 and it's still smooth in both modes.

...also check out: