• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT 4.7.1 - Previews from wrong sequence showing

Tongue
#1 David Wilson
LRT 4.7.1
Mac OS 10.11.5
These files had been converted to DNG by Adobe DNG Converter before attempting anything below:

Hold everything! I figured it out. My problem was that I tried to edit directly from the folder in the folder list in the left-hand pane, and forgot to go through the "Import" process. When I "Imported" everything was happy. Somewhere below I say I'm not above user error, and, well, I guess I went and proved that! So read below only if you want to see the trap I put myself in. Or perhaps if you read it, you will see a way to warn people if they do what I did. Thanks! Smile ?

(Gunther) -> Not necessarily - please see my answer below!

I tried editing a Perseid meteor sequence, and  when I first opened the folder of images in LRT 4.7.1, it incorrectly showed previews from a sequence from over a month ago.  I was trying to use LRT 4.7.1 to edit new images that were already on the hard drive, but hadn't been into Lightroom or any other software yet (though I had converted them to DNG as stated above). Needless to say, this freaked me out. I'd hate to get my new files overwritten by old info. No matter which folder I selected, LRT 4.7.1 wanted to show previews from this older timelapse sequence.

Well, eventually the problem went away. Unfortunately, I don't know what did it. I had restarted the Mac and relaunched LRT4.7.1 a few times.

But now it's back!

Now I'm trying another sequence, and it's showing the same incorrect previews from the same old timelapse that that did this to me the other day. I've restarted the Mac, and I've relaunched LRT 4.7.1. Neither fixed the issue. LRT is starting to scare me.

What can be going on? What else do you need to know? In both cases, these were folders where I had dumped the images from my card, and they had not been imported into Lightroom, LRT4, or anything else before I tried bringing them into LRT 4.7.1 and experienced the problem. This problem had not happened before I upgraded from 4.7.x to 4.7.1, though I can't say whether that means anything.

With thanks and frustration,

David Wilson
#2 David Wilson
After multiple restarts of the computer and the program, same problem persists.

So then I went into Lightroom, added some keywords, my name in the Creator field, and then saved all the metadata to the files from the Lightroom library. I re-launched LRT 4.7.1 and it STILL shows previews from some other sequence.

[Actually, the second half of the images do display correctly, but the first half of the sequence shows the wrong previews, and this was the case in the initial post above as well.]

I am afraid that if I hit any "Save" button in LRT it will overwrite my new files with something from the old files, since it is determined to think I have those older images in this sequence. I do not. They are not in the same folder. I have checked and re-checked. Besides, this problem cleared up for me mysteriously with my last sequence, as I said in the initial post, and I was able to proceed normally.

I really, really wanted to edit this NOW. I was sharing it with the local news outlet this evening. Sad
#3 David Wilson
The problem persists. Some info to hopefully help you find the problem (which could be me, of course, I'm not at all beyond user error)

In LRT 4.7.1, I right-clicked a frame in the sequence that was displaying the wrong preview and chose "Show file in Finder". It took me to the correct image, not to the image of the incorrectly displayed preview.
#4 David Wilson
I think I will have to edit these in Lightroom and suffer. Dawn came near the end of the sequence, and LRT would've been great to use.
#5 David Wilson
Problem resolved, User Error :0 (see red text in first post).

LOL!

Now I really have to go edit!
#6 Gunther
Hi David,
glad you solved it but I don't think this was the real solution, even if it fixed your problem.

Le me explain: If you have a folder on your harddrive, you normally don't need to use the LRTimelapse importer (otherwise it will create a copy of your files). You should only use the importer to bring files from an SD Card to your Harddrive.

Now to your problem: in very rare cases it could happen, that preview files are getting messed up, like you exprienced it. In that case you should just force LRTimelapse to rebuild those previews by pressing "Shift-F5" - you can find it in the menu too.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: