• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT 5.0.7: Curious beavior through metadata

#1 lhiapgpeonk
Hi all,

I am currently trying my hands at my first timelapses. I stumbled across a behavior I cannot quite grasp:
I start off with the following image, freshly imported from disk:

I then have LRT create keyframes and apply the HolyGrailWizzard:

After saving and upon re-reading metadata from disk in LR I see this:

This sort of makes sense, but it does not. Note the sliders in Develop? They do not change although I imported corrections made by LRT (HG Lum Leveling +0.341).
If I instead correct the image by 0.34 EV I get this:

The noise still is not fine, but hey, it's an old camera. What bothers me are the burnt out highlights.

So my overall question is: How does the correction via xmp-Files work, that it does not affect the sliders in LR at all and a correction of 0.341 seemingly has a very different effect than anticipated? It seems counter-intuitive that corrections made by LRT are not shown as actual corrections (BTW: All Filters still are at all values 0. And you add a -1 Vignette, is that by design?)
Any pointers to help me understand this behavior are highly appreciated!
#2 Gunther
Holy Grail and Deflicker are being applied to background layers, that's why you don't see those edits.
this allows you to freely edit exposure etc. In some cases it's necessary to compensate for the leveling done by the holy grail wizard via regular keyframes and exposure.
In your case you did very large adjustments to the camera settings, this makes it harder to compensate.
Try to change camera settings in 1/3 stops only. Then make sure to have the holy grail compensation line as close to the horizontal middle as possible.
This will keep the corrections that you need to do via keyframing exposure small.

A vignette different than 0 is technically necessary. if Vignette is 0 lightroom will remove it completely and this can cause problems with transitions. You can change that value just make sure to not set it to 0.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 lhiapgpeonk
Thank you for your quick response!
I did not even know that background layers existed in LR. Is there any way to access them?

Yes, I did sometimes change the settings by 1 stop, as I was running around with my non stationary camera and could not always directly compensate for exposure changes (Which probably got me into trouble later on anyway => Very blown out sky I fear) I will keep that in mind for my next tries!
I experienced problems with the Holy Grail Wizzard, where rotatating and stretching did not have any effect on the compensation curve at all. Probably a side effect of to big changes between two images.
#4 Gunther
Yes, exactly. The most important thing is not to over expose when shooting.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: