• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT 5.3 beta 5 build 597 deflicker bugs

#1 jorn-t
Hi!

Just started processing about 300 000 RAW images divided into 6-700 sequences.
They're taken with different cameras, mainly Nikon D850, D7200, Canon 77D, but also some with Canon 760D, 750D and Mavic Pro 2.

1. I've noticed that sometimes, the keyframes are deflickered automatically at first load (the deflicker attribute has been changed), before I've pressed the Visual Deflicker button.

First time i press Visual Deflicker button, LRT seem to think the sequence already has been deflickered (it's not), and I'm presented with the "Refine" option instead of the "Apply" button, which is greyed out.

2. Also noticed that while some sequences deflicker almost perfectly after the first pass, others require many passes before reaching a acceptable level of smoothness, like it's improving roughly 50% after each pass, giving 75% smoothness after two passes, 88% after three and so on.

This is something I've mentioned before, on earlier versions of LRT as well. Not sure what causes this, but sometimes it seems to be better to do the deflickering BEFORE editing keyframes in Lightroom. Heavy edited versions with lots of changes in Highlights, Shadows, Exposure and Clarity seem to be worse. Now that I've got hundreds of sequences in the editing pipeline, taken with several different cameras from different manufacturers, I'm hoping to see a pattern.

Jumping back and forth between sequences may seem to trigger some bugs, so for me the safe way to do things is to do one sequence at a time, deflicker first, edit second, auto transitions, and if necessary, try to deflicker a second time.

3. There is also a bug I've seen many times after changing a keyframe exposure in Lightroom, let's say +1.0, and doing a Auto Transition and Deflicker, it sometimes seem like the other frames are left unchanged and the keyframe is then deflickered back down to match the old brightness levels, I.e. the whole sequence has the same brightness as before the keyframe got changed. Haven't seen this in LRT 5.3 though.

Will come back with more info when I'm starting to see more of this odd behaviour Smile
It may be that I'm not always following the workflow as intented. Sometimes I just quickly edit keyframes directly in Lightroom (hitting the "4" button to indicate keyframes) before loading the sequence in LRT, to save time.
#2 gwegner
First of all: Beta test for 5.3 is over, since the final 5.3 is released!
Regarding 1.) I could imagine, that you messed up the gradients. If you add or remove gradient adjustments, you might influence the deflicker because technically deflicker will happen on a background gradient.

2.) If you use non linear adjustments to a large extent, Lightroom might introduce contrast flicker which might be hard to correct. See: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-what...htroom-acr
Also I wouldn't recommend changing the smoothness between deflicker steps. The smoothness slider should be used to make the luminance curve follow the long term changes in lightning. It makes no sens to try to create a totally straight curve.
Working with multiple sequences normally works. I explained this in the tutorial video about working with multiple sequences, see https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial

3.) This might be related to 1. Please check the curves. Auto Transition should smoothly connect them.

Please install the final 5.3 from https://lrtimelapse.com/download
Check out my e-book Time Lapse Shooting and Processing!
Subscribe to the LRTimelapse Newsletter!

lrtimelapse.com - advanced Time Lapse Photography made easy!
gwegner.de - Fotografie, Zeitraffer, Video, Reisen.
facebook · Google+ · twitter · vimeo
#3 jorn-t
Ah, after reading about gradients, I guess they may mess up stuff. As I wrote above, it happens that I make keyframes directly in Lightroom and add a gradient or two myself. I sometimes add ellipse shaped gradients too. With 10 CPU cores, the workflow is better for me this way - I can have LRTimelapse do Visual Previews and Deflicker in the background - while I work simultaneously in Lightroom to adjust the next sequences on the list.

Contrast flicker sounds like something I've run into sometimes. And sometimes separate colours flickers. The original sequence may be perfectly flicker free, but If I've added some extra colour to the reds/yellows (HSL/Color tab in Lightroom), to create a more beautiful sky during sunset, which I often do, I've experienced flickering on single colours. As if the extra saturation for yellows is turned on/off randomly.

I'll download the final 5.3 and give you some feedback the upcoming weeks, as I'll be chewing through hundreds of sequences the next months Smile First impression is that deflicker is way better than it used to be, but I've also changed from cheap Canon cameras to more professional Nikon cameras with waaaay better timelapse functionality, smoothing sequences as they are recording.

Very happy with the Nikon D850 btw, it's a timelapse machine!
#4 gwegner
If you don't follow the recommended workflow, you will continue running into problems.
You should always initialize the sequence first in Lrtimelapse (running through the first workflow row) before you bring it into Lightroom.
Without that initialization you will definitely get problems with the deflicker and holy grail wizard.
Check out my e-book Time Lapse Shooting and Processing!
Subscribe to the LRTimelapse Newsletter!

lrtimelapse.com - advanced Time Lapse Photography made easy!
gwegner.de - Fotografie, Zeitraffer, Video, Reisen.
facebook · Google+ · twitter · vimeo

...also check out: