• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT exporter writing to C:\ Temp folder

#1 martinheck
I figured I should bring up this topic again as I got ongoing issues with this.

Goal: Exporting multiple sequences as Tiff16bit to an 8TB SSD or 80TB NAS. Drive letters D:\ or U:\ ...
Problem: The exporter writes a few sequences normaly but after some time writes the tiffs to C:\Users\martin\AppData\Local\Temp\ until drive C:\ is full, as it is only 240gb as its the system drive. Despite the target drive having plenty of free space.
The same happens straight away when you set, "skip exisiting files" (like when you want to continue rendering an aborted sequence). Instead of skipping, it still renders (!) the files and writes those also to until C:\ is full and you get an error. Effectively not overwriting the exisiting files, but still rendering them and writing them somewhere else (C:\Users\martin\AppData\Local\Temp).

LR Cache is on D:\

LRT Build 599, latest LR
Windows 10 Pro
24/48 core dual xeon 2697
128GB Ram
Dual 1080Ti
8TB SSD Raid0
Timestorm Films | Professional Timelapse Photography
www.timestormfilms.com
Youtube | Instagram
#2 Gunther
Can I have the LRTExport.log after this happens? It should be in Documents\LRTimelapse
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 martinheck
I tried to troubleshoot a bit and manually deleted all folders within the temp folder which contained .tif sequences. Since every LRTexport sequence has the same file names there might have been an issue. The latest render of 10 sequences over night worked fine.

Regardless I attached an ExportLog for a sequence that was partly rendered and was supposed to be finished by this run.
As expected LR/LRT renders every frame to C:, then (!) checks if a file already exists and then skips it instead of not rendering it in the first place.
Also I think it would be good to be able to manually set the temp/cache folder for the LRTExporter. Many people have dedicated cache/scratch SSDs for exactly this scenario to take strain away from the system drive.
Timestorm Films | Professional Timelapse Photography
www.timestormfilms.com
Youtube | Instagram
#4 Gunther
Lightroom uses the temp folder assigned in windows. So, if you have a dedicated drive for your temp files, just set the folder in windows: https://www.wikihow.com/Change-Location-...-Windows-7
I'll try to reproduce the behavior you are describing. Please send the log to support(at)lrtimelapse(dot)com (nothing attached in your last post)
#5 Gunther
Of course it wouldn't make sense to export first and then check if the file already exists, that's not how it's implemented.

I've just made a test:
Exported 3 folders at once.
Then again, exported the same 3 folder with the "skip" option selected. LRTExport skipped all files (export rushed through).
Every file is also described as "Skipped" in the LRTExport log.
That's how it should be and that's how it works for me.
Please do some more tests and see, if you can find a pattern, when it fails. The LRTExport.log should show any anomalies. Let me know!
#6 Gunther
Ok, it seems, we solved the mystery. Lightroom seems to do some caching into the temp folder, regardless from the exporting logic of the LRTExport Plugin. This seems to have been introduced with the multithreaded export in Lightroom.
In practical use this only means, that while LRTExport is still checking the image sequence for existing files etc. Lightroom might already be exporting proactively into the temp folder. As soon as it gets notice from the exporter that nothing has to be done, it will stop exporting again.
You shouldn't also care about the filenames that are being created in the temp folder. The do not correspond with the final finenames that will be created by LRTExport in the LRT_ folders. There will be a mapping when moving from the temp folder to the final folder.
In any case, Lightroom will make use of the temp folder extensively. So make sure that you have enough space there and that it's located on a fast SSD drive. In windows the temp folder can be defined in the system configuration (see my second last post here).

Bottomline: skipping of existing files works if the Skip option is active. Just make a test where you measure the time for a "fresh" export and then one, of the same folder afterwards, with "Skip" checked. The second one will be way, way faster, because the images only get analized and then skipped (regardless of the Lightroom "caching").
#7 Gunther
The "Skip" problem has been fixed in LRT 5.3.2. Thank you Martin for your report and testing.

...also check out: