• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT JPEG output quality

#1 Sinsear
When outputting the intermediates as a JPEG using the LRT Export options (JPG, Ori) or (JPG, 4K), I noticed that the original resolution JPEGs are around 10-15 MB in size. I'm curious as to what the quality settings are that's being used. For reference, when I export the same RAW as a 100% quality JPEG file (not using the LRT option), it ends up being around 30 MB. Camera is Sony A7r3.

Conversely, why are the TIFF files so massive in comparison to the DNG file? A 50 MB DNG file becomes a 200+ MB TIFF file when exported.
#2 Gunther
The JPGs are exported with a quality slightly below 100%, because it's proven, that 100% does not bring any quality improvements against 90%, it just increases image size.

Tiff is another format with different or no compression. A dng is a compressed (or uncompressed) raw file. When developing it, and storing the result to tiff, it can easily go bigger. If you want details, please google about TIFF file format.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Morgan
Hello! I also noticed that the raw photos are 30 Mb, while rendering with LRTimelapse export option, I find the quality at 5 Mb, even if I did a lot of post production with Lightroom.
#4 Gunther
Yeah, that's raw vs Jpg. 5mb Jpg however is mostly quite a good quality, if you need more, go tiff.
#5 Morgan
Thanks Gwegner!! Smile
However I noticed that the Lightroom 2018 V7.0 version with the latest LRTimelapse 5.3.3 version the export speeds LRTimelapse export is impressive! super fast: D
The Lightroom 2015 release version was very slow
#6 Gunther
Lightroom export got faster in the last releases. I'd recommend to upgrade to the latest Lightroom Classic 9.1.
#7 Morgan
Thanks a lot! Big Grin

...also check out: