• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT Pro Timer Hardware Extension Focus, 2nd Camera Port, ext. power supply

#1 Sheeba
Hello Gunther, hello people,
as announced in my previous thread, here comes a solution for hardware expansion of the Pro timer. Since version 0.93 I have implemented a separate control for the focus, as well as a control for a 2nd camera port in the software.
2. Camera Port? For what do you need that, some users may think so! To steer a second camera with it would only make sense in a 3D timelapse or if you want to record a timelapse simultaneously from 2 angles. But as seen in my previous thread, there are other applications that can be realized with this 2nd port.
Since the PT is a DIY project and every user have to build the hardware himself, this HW extension can be a challenge for users. So, if you do not already work with electronics or deal with them professionally, you already have the problem to get the necessary components. In addition, when ordering in the electronics shop, not inconsiderable costs for shipping the parts are added.
For all PT users, regardless of whether original 3D printed, alternative or self-built housing, this simple solution is intended.
For my version of the PT I have developed a small PCB on which all required components for the HW extension are housed. When using this PCB, only the connections (6) to the UNO need to be soldered.
Users of the original Pro Timer 3D printed case also have the problem that there is no space for additional components.
Look at the attached PDF which shows how easy my solution is.
This PCB with all components equipped and soldered cables, I offer you for 17 € plus shipping.
If interested, just PM or email me.

Question to Gunther:
The version shown in my PDF for installing the HWE in an original 3D printed housing is based on the dimensions of a battery holder for 4 AA batteries. Perhaps you have a no longer used original case (lower shell + battery compartment) that you can provide me. This would allow me to pinpoint the dimensions of the PCB and the required holes. And is it also possible to mount the battery compartment on the left? Then the connections are still on the left side.

Best regards,
Hans
Attached Files

.pdf   LRT ProTimer Hardware Extension.pdf (Size: 643.55 KB / Downloads: 83)
#2 polly_sacharride
Hans, Is there any disadvantage to using digital pins instead of SDA & SCL? Will using the digital pins have any effect on stuff like using the 2nd port as a sensor input? I'd like to use an I2C OLED display but I'd also like to take advantage of the extensions you've made to the programming.
#3 Sheeba
Hi Polly,
As described in my PDF, you can use any other digital I / O pin instead of SDA and SCL. I use SDA and SCL to be hardware compatible with my Pro Timer Free ext software, in which I control a motor controller via I2C bus. This allows me to use both softwares on one platform without any hardware changes. Your project with OLED Display sounds interesting. Maybe show a result in the forum.
Greeting,
Hans
#4 polly_sacharride
Your Pro Timer Free ext software was one of the things I was interested in. I'd prefer to retain as much interoperability as possible too. I don't think there should be any issues adding an I2C display since the addresses should be different, I just wanted to minimize the chance of interference. Most I2C-capable displays also support serial communication that's another possibility. There are other issues I need to work out too. In general OLED displays don't have a keypad so I'll need another input method. I'm thinking of using an analog joystick module. But there would be advantages as well it would have better readability and would operate better at lower temperatures (which will be an issue since I'm intending on using it high in the mountains at times). It would also free up quite a few pins and allow me to use a different board like an Arduino Pro Mini.
Thank you,
Don
#5 Sheeba
Hi Don,
I am glad to hear that you are interested in my PText software. Regarding I2C address there should be no problems, because I have assigned this for the TLSMC (Timelapse Stepper Motor Controller) by software. Have you ever looked at the Keyborad of the Display Shield? A few resistors to the keys and read in via an analog port. That should be easy to copy and you could use a lot of the original software. If you are interested in my PText software, do you want to build a slider as well? I still have a few of my TLSMC
https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-tim...sion-ready
and offer them for sale.
Sounds very interesting, keep us up to date.
Regards, Hans
#6 polly_sacharride
Hans, I'm not too concerned with the display and the TLSMC interfering with each other since they have different addresses. What I'm more concerned with is the possibility of display interference if you connect a sensor to the 2nd port like you describe in your post about event-controlled shooting. I only have a basic knowledge of I2C so I'm unsure whether or not an unaddressed device on that bus would cause glitches in other devices attached to it or not.
I'll definitely contact you regarding a slider when I get to that point.
Thank you,
Don
#7 Sheeba
Don,
I have published 2 different software. One for the standard Pro Timer (currently V0.93 / 4) and one with Motor controll (Pro_Timer_SMC_Free_EXT V 1.13 / 2). The std. Pro Timer version uses the I2C pins for the 2nd camera port or for the sensor input, but these pins can be simply put by definition on other digital ports. This would make the I2C bus free for your display. The PText software needs the I2C bus for communication with the motor controller, but has no sensor function. This would allow you to use your I2C display without any problems.
Regards, Hans
#8 polly_sacharride
OK, that makes sense. I mistakenly assumed that you had simply added the sensor input code as an extension to the code with motor control.
Thank you,
Don

...also check out: