• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRT5: praise and feedback

#1 chasg
Gunther, well done on LRT5. Using it now (finally crossgraded to Pro, sorry it took so long!). 

Loving the ability to play the visual preview before it's done, and being able to redraw the reference rectangle after a preview is rendered is going to save me hours and hours of re-rendering time, yaay! One thing about the preview: it'd be nice to be able to play it from where the play-head is, instead of it always going back to the beginning when I hit play (I know we can work around that by selecting a series of frames, but it'd be nice of that step weren't necessary).

The "this step has been completed" icons are really useful. I've lost count of the number of times I've lost track of where I am in the editing process (either when sleep-deprived while editing very late into the night, or when I've left a sequence for a few days/weeks). 

Multiple deflicker passes is also great, it's rare that I don't do at least two passes on just about every sequence.

I'm working through the other new innovations now, lots of new things to learn :-)

Here's a small bug-like issue that I noticed in LRT4 (fyi: I'm on Windows 10): the "tooltips" that pop up when I hover over a button block the clickability of any buttons they sit on. For example, if I point at the "render video" button (underneath the preview window), a tooltip pops up describing that button. If I slide my mouse over to the right to the next button (in this case: "render preview video"), the tooltip from "render video" stays, and blocks me from clicking on "render preview video". I can solve the problem by just moving my mouse away from all buttons, but it's an extra step (a minor one, but it's still a step). This is also an issue with the play button for the preview window: if I want to hit play and pause play while looking at the preview window (to perhaps see any small changes from one moment to the next), I'm going to hover my mouse over the play button. But if I do, then the tooltip pops up, and I can't click on the play button again. If you added a preference that would allow us to turn off tooltips, that would solve the problem. Just a small issue in an application full of functionality, so please don't worry about it if you have lots else on your plate. 

Finally, a suggestion for LRT6: the ability to either draw freehand reference areas, or to be able to subtract areas out of a rectangular reference area (photoshop style: click and draw a rectangle as usual, and then alt-click and drag to subtract from that rectangle). As an example: at this moment, I'm working on sequences I shot during the "super" moon here in London (against our tall glass buildings), and the moon entering my reference area is spiking the brightness a bit (it moves behind some buildings a couple of times, which confuses things further). It's crossing diagonally through the shot, so it's very hard to draw a rectangle that _doesn't_ include it. Just a bit of a wish, for the future (because we all know you don't have enough to do ;-)

Again, having a great time with the new LRT, many thanks for all your hard work.

Chas
#2 Gunther
Hi Chas,
thanks for your nice feedback! Glad you are enjoying LRT5!

Regarding playback from the current position: just shift-click on play.

For the reference area: You can animate the position of the reference area. Just set the reference area while on the first image, then set another reference area somewhere else, chose to animate the reference area in the upcoming dialog and make it move, as the sequence progresses.
For the tooltip wish: please post that into feature requests, then I'm not going to forget it.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chasg
Shift-click, I never knew that (thanks!).

And I'm well aware of animating the position of the reference area, thanks (I use that feature frequently). But I can think of numerous examples of when I wanted to use a large reference area (to average out any flicker), but to not include a part of that rectangle (e.g. a flickering street-light in the middle of a dark sky).

And I've posted the tooltips request, thanks.

Cheers!

Chas

...also check out: