• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRTimelapse and TV-HDR for broadcast

#1 lagmandokk
I am working on a TV-documentary that will be broadcasted on-demand in HDR. The minimum requirments is 10 bit and 422. We want to use some timelapse sequences, and are considering LRTimelapse as our post-tool. But as far as I can see, the final product only comes in 8-bit. Is this right, or am I missing something?
#2 Gunther
No, if you render out in ProRes it will be 10 bit. You need LRTimelapse Pro for the ProRes Option.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 lagmandokk
Thank you.
#4 lagmandokk
But one more thing. When I export from Lightroom I must choose either JEPG or TIFF. If I want 10-bit I am forced to choose TIFF right? Since With JEPG I only get 8-bit.
#5 Gunther
Yes, exactly.
#6 lagmandokk
Hello, again.
I have some follow up questions, if you don´t mind. The other footage in the documentary is shoot with Sony FS7 and S-Log3 for the most part. So I know that our colorist can get the needed levels out of the pictures to be able to grade HDR. The log-curve takes care of that.

But it gets trickier when I as an simple editor get in between with my timelapses. How much should I edit the pictures before I send them to the colorist? I can not send them "flat" as there are no S-log-curve to preserve the levels. My solutuon so far is to edit them moderatly, make sure that no levels are clipped, and send as 10-bit through LRTimelapse and Premiere.

What I am ultimately asking, is if there are any useful info about working for television-HDR and LRtimelapse out there.
#7 Gunther
Usually the way you described is the right. If you work with 16 bit Tiff intermediaries and/or with 10bit ProRes you will have sufficient headroom for the colorist to do the grading even for HDR footage.

...also check out: