• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LRTimelapse v4.7.8 calculates 16:9 incorrectly -> Black bars to video

#1 Teemu76
Hi,

I get black bars to left and right side of timelapse video because LRTimelapse calculates 16:9 aspect ratio between 16:9 and 16:10.

I have 1290 pictures in sequence. I used keyframes only for cropping because amount of light did not change during shooting sequence.

Shooting setup:
- Canon 5d mark IV
- RAW format
- shutter release locked down
- high speed continuos mode
- shutter speed of 0.8 seconds
- picture interval roughly 944ms
- Canon 70-200 F4L IS wide open
- ISO 200

Post processing
1. Initialized sequence from LRTimelapse
2. Marked frames #0, #989 and #1289 as crop as keyframes
3. Saved sequence
4. Dragged sequence to Lightroom
5. Edited first keyframe including crop from left side of frame with crop factor near 2.5
6.  Synced result to next two keyframes
7. Used same crop area for second keyframe but moved crop position to right side of frame
8. Set full width 16:9 crop for last frame
9. Saved keyframe metadata from Ligtroom
10. Reloaded keyframe metadata to LRTimelapse
11. Calculated auto transition in LRTimelapse
12. Saved metadata from LRTimelapse
13. Read metadata back to Lightroom
14. Used Adobe Premier Elements 12 to create video

Result:
1. Crop settings were nearly correct between first and second keyframe. For some reason pixel dimensions are not exactlly same in frames between keyframes even if first two keyframes have exactly same pixel dimensions with each other.
2. Frames between second and third keyframe had larger deviation from desired 16:9. Aspect ratio was between 16:9 and 16:10. Deviation is probably highest in halfway between last two keyframes.
3. Lightroom shows frame aspect ratio as custom instead of 16:9 for most frames between last keyframes. Only frames near keyframes show aspect ratio correctly as 16:9.

Links:
Video from first attempt. I deleted all LRTimelapse and Ligtroom catalog files after first attempt. Crop factor was slightly different in first attempt.
https://youtu.be/N-J2h2lB9kQ

XMP metadata ZIP from files of second attempt:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/spu6ohiqwn7yl8...a.zip?dl=0

-Teemu
#2 Gunther
If you have the first two keyframes with the same setting and the last with another one, this might produce those results because Bezier curves are used to calculate the transitions. There are other disadvantages in using LRTimelapse for crop animations. For example Lightroom always crops to full pixels, not on Subpixel basis. Thus I recommend exporting in full resolution from Lightroom and rendering the uncropped video via LRTimelapse and then do the Ken Burns animation in the video editor.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Teemu76
I copied your great LRTimelapse software idea for personal use four years ago and coded similar program with C. I bought your software mainly because of deflickering funtionality. I do not have same issue when using my own software but that software is just command prompt based metada editor. Usability is quite poor.

I still do not understand why wouldn't it be possible to correct the issue so that aspect ratio remains same as key frames all the time. Before I bought your software I thought that I should add functionality to edit crop coordinates logarithmicly for zoom and linearily for pan. I have not taken care of crop angle handling yet so there would have been too much work for the current need.
#4 Gunther
Normally it should change the aspect ratio, but in your scenario the coordinates might get out of the actual range then things like this could happen.
To work around, you can use the manual transitions under tools. Just select the first part (from first to second keyframe), right click on one of the crop table headers, “select only this column“. Then apply a linear transition. Now select the second part, apply a linear transition.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 Teemu76
Thanks. This work around seems to solve the issue.
#6 Teemu76
I am sorry that I was too hesitant to report this issue as a bug. I was so sure about my finding .

I now understand that "issue" between second and third keyframe is unavoidable with the crop areas I selected. I should have moved crop of second keyframe slightly towards frame center in order to avoid aspect ratio to change between last two keyframes. Your hint for applying linear transition was useful for transition between first two ketframes. That way I could keep crop pixel dimensions exactly correct for 1440p video. So if only panning is involved without zoom then linear transition produces better result.

...also check out: