• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Mac: Provide more Memory to LRTimelapse!

#1 Gunther
UPDATE: SINCE LRTimelapse 5.5 this is not needed anymore. LRTimelapse will now allocate the memory dynamically!

Unlike on Windows, on Mac currently there is a static maximum amount of memory (currently 6GB) that LRTimelapse gets provided.
If you have a big machine with lots of memory and use to process large sequences (check the memory indicator on the top right of the LRT main window) you can increase the amount of memory provided easily.

Right click on LRTimelapse icon in your Apps folder -> show contents. Find the file info.plist, copy it to your desktop. Now edit it with any texteditor. Change the parameter -Xmx to a higher value. You can for example enter 8g for 8GB. Save and close.

Copy the file back to the original place, overwrite the original one.

If anything goes wrong, just reinstall LRTimelapse.

If you are on MacOS Catalina or younger, please see this post: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-mac...3#pid44673
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#2 seawildearth
Good info. My current Xmx string is showing 2048m which I take to be 2.04GB? What would a realistic raise on that be? I'm no programmer by any means so not sure what value I should put there.

Cheers,
Mark.
"A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
#3 Gunther
It depends, how much memory you computer has.
If you have 8GB, you could easily provide 4GB to LRTimelapse, the setting would then be 4096m
#4 seldenphoto
Hi Gunter, I read about this, thought this is a good idea to do, I have 16 GB RAM, but when I opened the Info.plist file, I realized my limits...don´t know where to change this, not my knowledge to go behind the programs and do things like this..so where in this text shall I make the change? Is it just to cut and type numbers somewhere? Sorry for my bad english and stupid question ;-)...
/Annette Seldén
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#5 Gunther
Just change -Xmx2048m to -Xmx4096m for example to provide 4GB memory. This should mostly be enough, but of course you could go higher too, for example -Xmx6144m for 6GB.
#6 seldenphoto
In the text I can see two lines with Xmx, one with 1024 and the other under that with 2048. See the attached file, I marked it green. Should I just change theese numbers in the text document? And wich one or both of them? If both, what should I write on each then?
Thanks again for helping...

#7 Gunther
No, one is "Xms" the other "Xmx" - change the Xmx only it defines the "Maximum" memory.
Thumbs Up
#8 seldenphoto
Ah, got ya! Thanks!!!
#9 slabkoff
Gunter,
I've noticed that when I try to render a time lapse that has about 8000 frames, it cuts out about 60% of the way there.  Is this related to the amount of memory that's available to LRT?  I have tried rendering this series of images twice now and both times it cuts off at about 60% of the available frames.  The final files work in Quicktime, but they are shorter (way shorter) than expected.  

Is the amount of reserved memory (2048M) related to this issue? If I increase the amount of reserved RAM will that allow for larger files to be compiled/rendered?

Steve
#10 Gunther
No, I don't think so. This might be your problem: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-rend...e-sequence

...also check out: