• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AdobeRGB profile produce more noise & artifacts in final video

#1 lkunl
Hi Gunther,

I found final video that render with AdobeRGB JPG from LRTExport in Lighroom produce some noise and artifacts compare to sRGB JPG.
I dont see this noise and artifacts in intermediary sequence JPG both AdobeRGB & sRGB but i see it in final video. I'm not sure it's a bug or not.

Please see my attached file capture screen (more than 100% magnification)

Top image is capture screen of Prores 422 4KUHD video render from AdobeRGB JPG from LRTExport
Bottom image capture screen of Prores 422 4KUHD video render from sRGB JPG from LRTExport

Thank,
#2 lkunl
Window 10 LRTimelapse 4.7.5 Pro
Quicktime for player
(I can see this problem with Media player classic as well.)

If i use AdobeRGB JPG i found this problem both Wide & Standard Gamut.
#3 Gunther
That's strange. Could you send me those two videos please, for example via http://fromsmash.com
One with srgb->standard gamut
and one with Adobe RGB->Wide gamut please.
Send to support(at)lrtimelapse(dot)com
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 Gunther
I've checked the videos and I see the effect too.

Let me show a screenshot:
[Image: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/attachment.php?aid=1727]

On the left, the sRGB/standard Gamut, on the right the Adobe RGB Wide Gamut video.

Yes, you can see more artifacts on the left, then on the right.
But: The colors are much more accurate on the right side, check the left part of the cloud on the top right.

Since there is much more information in the right (wide gamut) video, the encoder has a harder job to do. While on the left, the encoder basically just flattens the sky, on the right, it tries to preserve the information - I admit, in your case it looks a bit awkward.

That's because your sequence has a lot of movement, so the encoder has to bring all this into the (always) limited bandwidth.
Don't forget, that both videos have the same size - although the wide gamut video carries much more information.

This means, if you work with the wide gamut workflow, you should use a higher quality when rendering from LRTimelapse, especially if you have a sequence with a lot of movement and/or are experiencing such artifacts. This will provide the encoder with more bandwidth to fit all the information into.

BTW: such fast artificial pans like you did in that sequence not only doesn't look so nice, but they consume a lot of encoder bandwidth to, which is then missing to encode smooth parts like the sky. I'd really avoid doing this. It's such a nice sequence, but the ken-burns pan is making it look amateurish. Try rendering without the pan and I will assure you that the quality will be much better, and the visual even in the HG quality setting that you used. The visual perception for the viewer will be much better too.

Ah: and another tip: don't use Quicktime for playback. Do not on Mac and especially do not on Windows. Apart from the security vulnerabilities, Quicktime is not properly color managed on neither of the systems. On Windows, MPC Player is the right choice. Use the latest version and uninstall Quicktime asap.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#5 lkunl
Thank you for your clear and helpful explanation.

I already try render with Ultra high quality and i can still see the effect but much less obvious.
I also check my other static video that render with AdobeRGB at High quality and i found it dont have the artifacts effect.

I glad that LRtimelapse 4.7.5 has option for render with sRGB because i have to upload my work through the internet.
If i render with AdobeRGB with Ultra high quality it will take too long for uploading file with limited internet bandwidth at my home.

BTW: The video i send is pan by Syrp Genie Mini not ken-burns pan but i crop 1:1 from still image. So, It might not smooth enough.
#6 Gunther
Doesn't make a difference :-) I'd recommend to use a slider for a nice parallax effect, that looks much better. Just panning looks the same when done artificially or on a rotary unit.
#7 lkunl
Thank you for your suggestion. I really want to get slider but my only problem is it weight.  haha

...also check out: