• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magic Lantern ETTR and Deflicker script Comparison

Video
#1 onelapse
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]Apparently the Keyframes that ML tags on the images makes it so the keyframes on LRT cannot be saved correctly.[/font][/size]
[font=Helvetica][size=x-small]Let me know if you've tried this before, I thought the results were pretty good and useful for cityscape last minute sunsets. I literally just set the [/size][/font][size=x-small][font=Helvetica]intervalometer, focused, and set the aperture and started it. Pretty cool if you ask me.[/font][/size]

[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]A little bit about the workflow I had to do for post processing.[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]1. Import Cr2 and XMPs from card[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]2. ***Remove Keyword from exif data [/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]3. Initalize in LRT[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]4. Keyframe wizard, save, Drag to LR import[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]5. Filter Keyframes[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]6. Make Edits (not to exposure) if you want to transition exposure, use one of the provided gradient masks and cover the image[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]7. Sync Settings with previous keyframes[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]8. Grid view, Save Metadata[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]9. LRT Reload[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]10. *** deselect Exposure 2012[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]11. Transition[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]12. Save[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]13. Visual Previews[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]14. Visual Deflicker[/font][/size]
[size=x-small][font=Helvetica]15. Save[/font][/size]

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgjFeYjbXmY]
#2 Gunther
Thanks for the feedback!
What happens, if you use the holy grail wizard on the images and discard the xmp metadata the ML writes?
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 onelapse
Magic lantern doesn't do the best job bumping exposure and had a couple instances where it dropped exposure and then went back. You can see it on the luminance curve in the video and it looked like the HG replacements and Deflicker didn't match the jumps the way the ML did. 

Curves with LRT HG and no ML xmps
[Image: http://i.imgur.com/gW3lqII.png]

LRT zoomed in
[Image: http://i.imgur.com/Ai0UlYb.png]

ML deflicker curve NO HG applied
[Image: http://i.imgur.com/0I6Py8g.png]
#4 Gunther
The Auto Holy Grail curve does not look bad, I thing it could serve as good starting point for the final visual flicker too and you'd have the advantage, that you could keyframe the exposure then too.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk
#5 onelapse
Yea I tried both ways at first but using the DF curve from the XMPs that ML wrote needed less fine tuning to get it smooth. What is the difference between these XMPs and the ones that are put in by the Ramper pro where they are automatically applied to a hidden gradient?
#6 Gunther
I don't know, what RP does. But when using LRTimelapse, you can save the step of importing the XMP files from the RP, because the LRTimelapse Holy Grail Wizard will do all the compensations too and give you even more flexibility.
#7 h00lz
Can you provide a little more info on step 2? I'm working on a Mac and can't figure out how to remove the right exif data. Thanks
#8 Gunther
What exactly are you trying to do? I don't know what onelapse means with point 2 either.
Normally you just load the sequence into LRTimelapse and you're good to go with the regular workflow.
#9 h00lz
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to use ML's AETTR, Deflickering post module and LRTimelapse but the XMP data that ML is lost when going from LRT4 to Lightroom.  It sounded like by doing step #2 listed here would solve the issue, but I'm not sure how to actually do it. Hopefully that makes sense..
#10 Gunther
I think you might be able to skip the ML XMP data. Just let LRT do its job. If after loading the sequence into LRT your blue luminance curve shows a zig-zag-form, try to compensate that with the holy grail wizard. If it looks rather smooth, skip the Holy Grail Wizard and use the visual deflicker only. If in doubt, post a screenshot of the blue curve.

...also check out: