• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magic Lantern FRSP (Full Resolution Silent Picture)

#1 ortelius
Hello,

I'm using a Canon 6D with Magic Lantern (Nightly.2015Nov07.6D116), LRT 3.4.1 Private License and LR CC 2015.2.1 on Windows 7.

Since I don't want to have a shutter count of 100.000 after half a year, I'm trying to setup a workflow using the relatively new feature of Magic Lantern, FRSP (Full Resolution Silent Picture). It works awesome at constant exposure/ISO, also together with LRT. But I have problems with Holy Grail.

Since FRSP only saves DNG RAW files (or MLV) but no additional JPEGs, I can not use DslrDashboard. But Magic Lantern's Auto-ETTR function will do the job, if it is set up correctly.

I am using MLV files and convert it to DNG to have EXIF data (except exposure) in the DNG files. After updating DNG preview and metadata in LR, I have the previews available in LRT. Using the Holy Grail workflow, I initialize and generate keyframes. When asked if I used Holy Grail methode, I answer with YES. But even if I set threshold to 0 in expert settings, the exposure changes are not recognized while generating keyframes. ISO changes are recognized, setting exposure 2/3 keyframes manually is no big deal. (not done in below example images)  

The Holy Grail wizard and deflicker workflow does not work when using Magic Lantern FRSP DNG files, at least with me. I have attached two screenshots:

After generating keyframes:
[Image: http://s4.postimg.org/4cno93wvd/hg1.jpg]

After pressing Holy Grail wizard:
[Image: http://s24.postimg.org/6qk9vg1mp/hg2.jpg]

I tried to skip Holy Grail wizard and do deflicker only, but the manual 'Match Total Exposures' of the 2/3 keyframes in LR needs exposure EXIF data in my understanding. It does not work in my case.

Maybe someone can help.
#2 Gunther
The problem is, that there is no exif data (Shutter speed, ISO, Aperture) in those files so the Holy Grail Wizard will not work (like the MTE function in LR too). So you would have to do the matching of the keyframes manually, if you want to use it.

Personally, I would save the hassle and don't worry that much about my shutter. I've never broken one and I probably shoot some more time lapses then you. Apart from this, if I understood it correctly that "silent shutter" feature does not give the full quality.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 ortelius
Thank you for your answer, Gunther. You may exchange your cameras more frequently than I do.

The 'silent shutter' feature has a gradient in exposure since the shutter is open while reading the sensor data. In case of a 6D, the difference of exposure from top to bottom is ~1/3 sec, a 5D has around 1/15 sec. The longest possible exposure at the moment is 15 sec. These are the limitations. Without seeing an disturbing gradient with a 6D, this feature can be used between 1 and 15 sec, ND filters are needed during daylight. Otherwise the quality seems to be the same.

I will use it for none holy grail sequences in this case.

Rainer

...also check out: