• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

max number of photos in a sequence that is practical for LRT editing?

#1 chasg
Hi All, I've got a question about the max number of photos that is practical to have in a folder for editing in LRT.

I'm shooting a big project: a 30 minute timelapse (45,000 photos at 25fps). The movie is all of the same scene, shot at 3-second intervals, but I've done my shooting over a few extended sessions (I've had to stop when I needed to rest). One session was long enough to give me a folder of 11,300 photos (several other folders have over 7000 photos, and the rest were shorter sequences).

Besides the very long times it'll take to do the edits and preview renders, is there any reason I can't edit this entire folder of 11,300 photos all at once in LRT? (no other sequence I've shot in the past has had more than 3000 photos, and usually it's around 750-1500 photos, never had a problem with any of them).

My computer has 64GB RAM, and plenty of drive space.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Chas
#2 Gunther
Officially LRTimelapse supports sequences up to 15.000 images, see https://lrtimelapse.com/eula but there is no hard limit.
I recommend to not go much higher, since the more images you have in one folder, the slower it gets.
If you can split into smaller folders, it will be easier to work with.

If you are on mac, you should increase the memory provided to LRTimelapse: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-mac-...rtimelapse
On windows this is not necessary.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chasg
Thanks Gunther for the info, I really appreciate it.

I was considering splitting the big folders up into sets of 3000 or so, but, as an experiment in extreme LRT editing, I'm going to try this 11K folder and see how it goes.

My main LRT machine is running Windows, so I'm happy to hear that memory is dynamically allocated (a wish for LRT 6: distributed rendering using other machines on a network ;-)

Cheers!

Chas

...also check out: