• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mechanical inconsistencies - flicker madness

#1 Haugen
I can't remove the mechanical flicker. It's impossible. And yes, I have done absolutely everything! The little changes in exposure is so small that LRTimelapse can't remove it. After 10 refining my sequence the flicker was nearly gone. So I just have to shoot with the lens twist trick. There is no other way. LRTimelapse is awesome for holy grail, but to remove the flicker caused my mechanical inconsistencies is nearly impossible. I don't know how you do it, but I give up - and I don't ever give up, so this is disappointing.
#2 Gunther
From my experience it is absolutely possible to remove any brightness flicker with the LRTimelapse Visual Deflicker. Normally you should never have to do more then 2-3 refine passes. Most of the sequences will be smooth with just one pass.
I could imagine that you introduced contrast flicker when editing which is quite impossible to remove. If you used the non linear tools to a certain extent in Lightroom (like Dehaze, Clarity, Whites, Blacks) this might have happened. Lightroom then edits dark images in a different way then bright images.
I'd recommend to try your sequence again with little editing in Lightroom only. Avoid those tools. Use the parametric tonecurve instead. Don't overdo it. Then see if you can deflicker it. You could as well try deflickering without any edits just to see that I'm right.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Haugen
Thanks for your response.

I have also deflickered without editing at all. Still flicker. The only thing I haven't tried is shooting with an all flat image.
#4 Gunther
Maybe you could provide a sample video?
#5 Haugen
(2017-09-15, 10:27)gwegner Wrote: Maybe you could provide a sample video?

Here's a link to a edit and a non edit sample. The edit sample was ran through LRT. Didn't do anything with the non edit sample. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/umpugbytd5fki...xHTha?dl=0
#6 Gunther
The edited one looks good. You should definitely start shooting with long exposure times to prevent getting birds popping up that disturb the timelapse. Everything will look much smoother then too.
#7 Haugen
(2017-09-15, 18:46)gwegner Wrote: The edited one looks good. You should definitely start shooting with long exposure times to prevent getting birds popping up that disturb the timelapse. Everything will look much smoother then too.

On the edit one, if you look on the bottom left side, just above the hill, you can se the flicker much better there. 
I know, I normally shoot with long exposure, but since this was only a test I didn't´t mind. But thanks anyway.
#8 skycamnz
Yay!!! This has helped me out BIG time! By using the parametric tone curve for editing, it has cured my maddening flicker.

...also check out: