• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Motion slider - eMotimo Spectrum st4 bundle vs Dynamic Perception Sapphire Pro bundle

#1 deepanshu
Hello guys,

This is my first post here but have been reading the forum for a while, particularly on the same topic as this. And I know that this same question have been asked before.

I am looking to get into motion based timelapse photography and have been looking at various different motion slider bundles. I have narrowed down my search to two,
 - eMotimo spectrum st4 with iFootage Shark Slider S1 bundle ($3K from eMotimo)
 - Dynamic Perception Sapphire Pro Ultimate Trekker bundle with Stage One Plus slider ($2.5K from DP)

I would like to use my motion system with some sort of ramping (either RamperPro3 or qDSLRDashboard) and both of these devices can take external trigger/act as slaves.

Sapphire Pro seems to be lighter but both claim to support upto 15lbs. One thing I noticed about Sapphire Pro is that camera will be away from rotation axis for pan, making the head almost useless for panorama photography. Whereas st4 comes with pano mode. Shark slider also comes with 20" extension. Both of these system have pros/cons over the other and I am absolutely confused.

So those who own any of these bundles, how do you like the bundle? Do you use them with ramping devices/softwares? Comments on built quality? Firmware updates? Easy enough to carry?

Thank you in advance. 
Deepanshu
#2 Gunther
One thing that I additionally particularly like on the spectrum is that you can program it directly on the device. No app or smart device needed. This makes setting it up very fast in the field. Apart from that it has 4 axis, therefore you can add a focus or zoom motor for example, if you want in the future.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 KidsOfAllAges
Spectrum:
+ programmable on device as mentioned by Gunther above
+ very intuitive UI
+ nodal (sort of)
+almost cable free setup
+ 4 axis
+ great remote control (PS4)
+ great motion profiles for video

- price
- slightly heavier & bulkier than the Sapphire. Never bothered me, but if you care a lot about size and weight it might be important
-no app control

Sapphire:
+app control (so you don't have to do gymnastics to see the display when programming)
+ smallest and lightest of them all
+payload (about the same as the ST4)
+ remote control possible via PS3 remote (cheap !)
+modularity
+ price

- many cables
-not 100% nodal (it will work for Gigapixel, but for 360° spheres it might become a problem)

Build quality and customer service is great with both companies. The Sapphire / NMX is a wee more modular, but at the cost of more cables. The ST4 on the other side is a very capable device. Both work fine with any ramping solution I am aware of (RP, View, QDDB).

Regarding sliders: I would recommend to get the Stage One Plus in any way as it is sturdier than the Shark. We usually sell (and use ourselves) the S1 with the ST4 rather than the Shark But the Shark is ok for the money as well.
kids-of-all-ages.de

Motion Control Rental, Sales & Service
Timelapse Slider, Pan &Tilt, Controller

Offizieller Distributor von
Dynamic Perception, eMotimo, Rhino Camera Gear, TBox Systems
& Berkey System

Wir sind Partner der Teltec AG

#4 deepanshu
Gunther, KidsOfAllAges,
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I actually thought of getting ST4 with Dynamic Perception S1 slider but that raises the cost even more as I would be looking at almost $3.5K ballpark.
Since this is going to be my first motion slider, I think I will just get started with DP combo. I don't mind cables but I don't like the NMX's need to rely on a mobile device to program it. Well, you can't have everything. And I think I can hack the system a bit to make it nodal for pano work. I am not interested in doing 360° anyway.
#5 KidsOfAllAges
(2017-06-23, 21:16)deepanshu Wrote: Gunther, KidsOfAllAges,
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I actually thought of getting ST4 with Dynamic Perception S1 slider but that raises the cost even more as I would be looking at almost $3.5K ballpark.
Since this is going to be my first motion slider, I think I will just get started with DP combo. I don't mind cables but I don't like the NMX's need to rely on a mobile device to program it. Well, you can't have everything. And I think I can hack the system a bit to make it nodal for pano work. I am not interested in doing 360° anyway.
kids-of-all-ages.de

& Berkey System

#6 KidsOfAllAges
You can control the NMX with a hardwired PS 3 Controller - you will have to memorize a lot of keys, but it should work. In my experience the NMX works pretty good now with ios and android devices- rf related hiccups seldomly occur if you keep the firmware and app up to date. Definitely a good starting point.
kids-of-all-ages.de

& Berkey System

#7 deepanshu
(2017-06-23, 22:56)KidsOfAllAges Wrote:  Definitely a good starting point.

That's what I am thinking. ST4 with DP S1 is almost $1K more. I will upgrade when I really need to. For starters, DP S1 Sapphire Pro bundle is looking very attractive. 
Thank you again for the replies.
#8 Dlavender
Hello. I've enjoyed this thread and had a few questions.

1. Is the Sapphire bundle compatible with Rhino Sliders? I already have a Rhino Slider and looking to build off of it.

2. What options do I have in terms of bulb ramping using a Lumix GH5? I've seen Ramper Pro is compatible with Panasonic but that seems to be the only options I've been able to confirm that will work for the GH5.

3. Has anyone worked with "Promote Control Bulb Ramping and Bulb HDR Assistant Kit" from Promote Systems. They had said their device was compatible with Emotimo and a lot cheaper than Ramper Pro at $29.99

Thank you in advance!
#9 Down Under
Just a quick one to let you know that I'm currently selling my eMotimo Spectrum st4 bundle inc slider and motor unit.

You can find it at: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254394851739

Note, I would be willing to ship overseas.

Cheers,
Rich
#10 Steve56304
Hey,

I'm looking into motion control systems in July of 2020. It seems like the options mentioned above - Dynamic Perception and Sapphire Pro vs eMotimo and ST4 are still the main players even though it is three years later.

My hunch from reading things is that the Dynamic Perception slider is better, but the ST4 is preferrable.

Is that still the case? Or if getting into a system now would you choose otherwise?

Main features - I'd like 48" of travel and the ability to do a pretty steep incline.

thanks,

...also check out: