• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zoom makes movie jitter?

#11 Gunther
Thank you for sharing that movies. I don't get results like that. Look at the tutorial I released today, the movie has a very smooth ken burns effect made only in LRTimelapse. You should definitely check your framerates. It looks to me as if the jumping is being caused by different framerates between time lapse and movie.
Consider that the Lightroom Template 24p makes "real" 24fps, not 23.9xx

Try using the 24p slideshow template along with the 24p HQ video template if you use Lightroom.

Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#12 Bas
I just finished the tutorial, nice one btw, very good explanation of all the possibilities.

As for the framerate, I use a 25 template, and the 25 HQ export.
But, as it works for you, it is probably something in my workflow so when I get the chance I will try to copy exactly what you did, and report back!

Greets,

Bas
www.thetimewriters.com - recording the future
#13 Gunther
Hi Bas,

thank you for sending me your files.

I checked everything and am able to reproduce your issues.

I have the impression that it has to do with the resolution of your image material.
This is my theory:

LRTimelapse calculates with 64bit precision but Lightroom seem to round the crop to pixel values when applied. So in your case your first crop has the dimensions of lets say 2842x1598 px - you can check this hitting "i" when in Loupe-View.

If you calculate the Aspect ratio, you get 1.77847
The next image is 2840x1598 -> that's an AR of 1.77722, because LR rounds to full pixels here.
Difference in AR: 0,00125

Keep in mind: LRTimelapse keeps the AR constant and writes 64bit precision crop values to the XMP!

Okay, now I tried the same Crops via copy paste on my 16MP RAW Files.

1St: 4493x2527 -> AR: 1.77760
2Nd: 4490x2526 -> AR: 1.77751

Difference in AR: 0,0001 (That's 1/8 of the other difference.)

The problem now seems to be that Lightroom first calculates the pixel-dimensions (with sometimes slightly changing ARs due to the rounding, and after that scales those already rounded values down to the outputsize of the movie.
That causes some jitter, the lower the resolution of the input material, the higher the relative jitter.

Sorry that I could not solve your problem, but I'm pretty convinced that it's not in my scope.
Use Images with higher resolution and the jitter will go away. With my 16MP images I have only marginal jitter and if only in some rare situations.

Best wishes
Gunther
#14 Bas
No problem,
Thanks for pinpointing the problem.

Good to know what it is, and that it solves itselve when I am shooting raw Smile

(btw. 1.4 rocks in reloading and saving times!)
#15 Bas
Recently I bought the 5d Mark 2, but, did shoot in jpg full size.
I still found it jittered. Is it possible that its not the size in pixels, buts its in the raw vs. jpg?
#16 Gunther
Bas, due to the limitations of zooming and cropping in Lightroom you will not get results as smooth as in a good video editing tool in any case. For that cases I recommend the 3K templates and doing pan and zoom in post.
Best
Gunther
#17 Bas
(2011-07-24, 23:57)gwegner Wrote: Bas, due to the limitations of zooming and cropping in Lightroom you will not get results as smooth as in a good video editing tool in any case. For that cases I recommend the 3K templates and doing pan and zoom in post.
Best
Gunther

Ha Gwegner, thx for the help (bit late reply from me, but hey, its vacation Smile
#18 fcorlier
Hi Gunter,
I have this jittery ken burns effect too, so I went through this thread to try to find help here.
It seems locking the aspect ratio in LR only reduces the jitter but doesn't eliminate it at all.
From my tinkering it appears to be worst with slow steady change, and is less noticeable with fast transition, but also less pronounced even when slowing down, because instead of jumping to the next position after 4 to 6 frames, the edge of the crop moves more constantly at every new frame so that the unpleasant jitter effect is less disturbing.
EDIT: based on the rest of the discussion, the aspect ratio was discarded as potential source of the problem, so that part of my response is irrelevant.

Suggestion:
1.not allowing a crop that would take away a too important proportion of the initial frame. (the effect is more pronounced with important crops)
2. faster transitions
3. no crop at all, and using a video editing solution

Remark- LRtimelapse needs a MANUAL: it took a lot of time to find this info and I would have found really helpful to have access to a standard (searchable) user manual instead of having to go through multiple videos that pertain to older implementations of the software, or worse a forum. Some threads contain useful comments, most do not, and overall useful responses within threads are specific to the questions asked and not always generally applicable.
Generally speaking a form doesn't cover all the functionalities of a software, but only those most puzzling ones that users ask about, or perceive as being the cause of their problems, the content is thus very biased towards the user experience which is itself the reflection of the available (or absence of) documentation.
I know it's a lot of work to put together a comprehensive manual, and the permanent improvements make it feel like a waste of time, but its really important to have a resource FREELY available to the users that spent money on your software and have no access to any form of exhaustive documentation.
Thanks in advance for considering this remark.

...also check out: