• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mount Eden, Auckland

Video
#1 John McKelvie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDjUfFjRcqo

Hi - just starting out with time-lapse. It was a long weekend here in Auckland, NZ. Fortuitously the Mt Eden access road had been blocked off to motor traffic as a new road surface and footpath had just been installed. The poor tourists had to walk up from the car park rather than be bussed up!

I experimented with the interval: 2 secs and 1 sec, rather than 5 or 15 which I've tried previously for clouds. I also tried Aperture Priority (rather than entirely Manual): which didn't work so well, particularly in the middle sequence, with some obvious flicker as the Panasonic GF1 m4/3rds camera took some arbitrary exposure decisions during some sudden gaps in the cloud cover. Otherwise the settings were f8, ISO 100. I probably needed a polariser to get some more contrast from a flat sky, and chosen a different white balance and saturation setting: the colours are a bit false. It was a mistake to have the camera set to 'Vibrant' as a film-type. The 'people' segments were @ 1 sec; the harbour @ 2 secs.

Each sequence is approximately 400 individual photos. I have a cheap interval timer that plugs into the side of the camera that takes up to 399 (or an infinite amount if it's set to --) and I've found that about 400 is enough for someone of my limited attention span before I need a new viewpoint. Also, the light doesn't change that much in 400 photos 1 or 2 secs apart.

I then put them together in Lightroom using LRTL at approx 12 fps, and then strung the resultant files together in Windows Movie Maker ... which, as a free app that comes with Windows 7, is far more intuitive & much less of a butcher than Adobe Premiere Elements (which I can't recommend: it's an appalling program).

Each sequence took 10 or 15 minutes to set up and take, so Allez! the dog had a good number of sticks to chase as the camera did its thing on a tripod.

The music ("Life is Symphonic" by commmorancy) is a Creative Commons licence, with attribution ... which is quite good fun in itself, searching through the music entries. I found ccMixter.org is a good place to start as it has a decent search engine.

"Life Is Symphonic" by commmorancy (feat. Comp. A Big Guitar)
http://ccmixter.org/files/commmorancy/28273
is licensed under a Creative Commons license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/

I've been trying to design a slider (@ the design stage: "in my head") ... they're $%^& expensive to buy. All it probably needs is a bit of toy rail track mounted on a wood, a rail-wagon with a tripod head mount, and some sort of drive-belt with clockwork / bbq rotator! You just can't beat steampunk!
#2 Gunther
Hi John, thank you for sharing your experiences! I would definitely recomment shooting in manual mode whenever possible!

Keep up the good work,
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: