• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Optimal Export Destinations

#1 Axilrod
Hey Gunther, I was just wondering what your recommendation would be in this situation. I have an SSD Raid that does +/- 2300mb/s read and write where my original timelapse sequences are stored. I also have a bunch of Samsung T7 that are more like 800 r/w. One would assume that it's better to write to the RAID since it's almost 3x faster, but was wondering if the fact that the original files are stored on it would make the T7 a better option. I know it's always better to have files stored away from system drive, but wasn't sure if something similar applied here.

So I guess my questions are:
Should I export from Lightroom to the RAID or to a T7?
If the intermediary sequences are on the RAID should I render to the T7?

Or is the speed difference between the RAID and T7 enough that I should store originals, export intermediaries and render sequences all on the RAID?
#2 Axilrod
Ok nevermind I ran a test with the 1 short sequence I have, took 5:55 to export to the T7 and 6:35 to export to the much faster SSD raid, so I guess it's better to go to a different drive. But the T7 was completely empty and the raid is 1/2 full, not sure how much of a difference that makes.
#3 Gunther
I woldn't have expected any big difference for the output folder since the files are usually being delivered slower than they would be written. However, if you work with many parallel processes the parallelization might be different of different drives.
The read speed from the source drive is more relevant, imho.
For such scenarios it's always the best to do individual tests on the individual setups.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: