• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MP4 LRT video is black screen

#1 rameshtahlan
Hi, 
I used LRT some months ago, and my Time-lapse video was perfect in MP4. The icon was correct, and the video would play by double click on icon, and the icon would show the first frame of the video.
Today i tried another LRT, with same settings. and I get a blank video, and when i click on play, the cursor moves as if video is playing, but screens still black.
I am using iMac, iOS 10.10.5
the LRT is 4.7.3
LR version is 6.7
I am attaching screen shots to show the black video screen. On top of the screen the data is visible and play cursor also visible a bottom.
the next screen shot shows the video icon, which indicates that the video is not recognised for some reason.
earlier i could directly load Jpeg images after manipulating them in LR  Export them to LRT for rendering, now when i got a black screen, i then processed again in RAW format starting from LRT the way it is shown in tutorials, and still no video.
However, if i select Open With as VLC, then the video plays,
BUT the MP4 video will not upload to Face Book etc. 

I tried converting MP4 to MOV but still no luck. Even the MOV is black

HELP.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Could you please send me the log file after rendering the video? (LRTimelapse, Info Menu, Show-Log)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 rameshtahlan
Ok.
I just tried again with Jpeg files on LR and then Export to LRT to make a video.
3 screen shot attached to show the sequence
hopefully you will see something.

thanks
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#4 Gunther
Yes, you should always use the latest LRTimelape version. But in this case, it probably won't change anything.
If the video plays in VLC, the video is fine. Just use VLC for playing. Other players sometimes cannot play the high quality files that LRTimelapse produces. Especially if they are not in 16:9. You could try to activate "Use 16:9 aspect ratio" in the render dialog, maybe that helps.
It could be an issue with your older mac os too, I don't know.
#5 rameshtahlan
Hi Gunther.
today i gave it another try with forced 16:9
no luck, again black video.

I am attaching two screen shots.

one is of some months ago, which is a 51 MB file in MPEG 4 movie. This had images of 2.2 meg each when it rendered

the other is what i have been attempting since yesterday with is a far lesser resolution file of 12 MB in same movie format. This had images of 1.1 Meg when rendered. So resolution on the iMac does not seem to be a problem.

unless the Mpeg 4 movie works, it appears LRT is of no use to me presently, cause i cannot upload it anywhere.
It is ok if i am making time-lapse just for myself to view in VLC,

Is there anything else i need to try. Clearly LRT rendering was working perfect with higher resolution images and rendering images in the past. But now with lower resolution it should work faster in fact in processing which it does, but Black Video.

Hope there is something else you can advise me to do. 16:9 also not working
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#6 rameshtahlan
Hi Gunther,

Found a way around that problem
I loaded the Black Video in MP4 format to Final Cut Pro.
It was visible immediately
then saved it as a file in MP4, on Desktop, and now it works perfect so i can now upload to any social media.
in addition FCP give option to upload to FB direct, that also worked, and it is visible on my fb

But still it remains a mystery why it LRT Render did not work when it worked perfect some months ago with a larger file and higher res.
#7 Gunther
I just tested that on my mac environment (10.12) - I get previews for all films in different resolutions and codecs. And even the quicktime player plays everything fine:

[Image: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/attachment.php?aid=1626]

I could only imagine, that your older mac environment does not support the newer color spaces that LRTImelapse now uses when rendering. I've changed to more modern colorspaces to improve the color rendition in one of the last updates. Maybe older mac os don't support that yet. Or it's something else on your system.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#8 rameshtahlan
OK Thanks.

I think i need to update OS to 10.12 i guess.
Will do that and then move forward.
#9 BunnyFullyIs
Sorry to bother you guys but this really seems to be a related topic about MP4 playback issue, isn't it? I also have a question about MP4 downloaded from YouTube for playback on my mobile phone. The video just couldn't be opened and played on Windows Media Player. So I downloaded a video repair program as you can see, to repair mp4 file. In the article it mentions that i can fix video by converting formats. I do not know how it work, but after I added my MP4 file into the program, it required me to choose a codec. There were 2 kinds of them, H264 and MPEG4, i do not know which encoder to choose. I also find another format named MJPEG on the internet and I do not know what are the relations between them. The original video which i downloaded is MPEG4, but it does not work as i have mentioned above. As for H264, i also heard that it is a highly compressed encoder, so i worry about that there might be some dramatic quality loss in the course of conversion, is that true? The video is 720p 60fps and i  do not want to downscale it by losing video output quality and decreasing it to 30fps which is less smooth. How should i fix a video without changing codec?
#10 Gunther
I do not recommend converting the video. This will cause a loss in quality.
On windows please try MPC player for playback: http://mpc-hc.org
on mac VLC player.

...also check out: