• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Multi-type keyframes

#1 yannick_c
Hi Gunther,

I've thought about something that could be usefull but not sure how it could be implemented in the actual workflow (maybe it's possible yet but don't know how). It would be some sort of Keyframe++ tool.

The actual workflow creates one type of keyframe for all the changes. That creates some kind of problems like these (specially when you have many keyframes) :
- If after all the "1st to last picture" process in Lightroom using your script, I want to tweak some detail (let's say white balance in a gradient filter), I'm kind of stuck and need to change all the other value by hand (pretty long if you have a lot of keyframes and a lot of tweaks to do). Maybe I can use the sync tool from Lightroom but LRTimelapse doesn't really like it (it's just the gradient sync that LRTimelapse doesn't like or there's other settings that I can't tweak that way ?)
- If I've put keyframes to change exposure and the white balance is moving at that moment, in need to calculate what the white balance need to be at that time to make the curve smooth. That apply to all other sort of changes.
- If you have many keyframes, the auto transition in LRTimelapse can make some sort of unsmooth curves and you need to tweak each parameter to make it smooth (hopefully, we can do it directly in LRTimelapse)

The thing that could be great would be to have different types of keyframes like in a animation software. That way, we could create keyframes for exposure, keyframes for white balance, gradients ... and it would be very easy to tweak afterward. We could add or delete keyframes where we want to apply some tweak and keep a small amount of keyframes for each setting.

I've tought of different ways on how to create these keyframes but at 6 am, my brain doesn't work very well so maybe it's completly wrong and a more simple solution could be found :
-with a script in Lightroom that analyzes the settings of the sequence and could detect that a parameter have changed from default or last value
- directly in LRTimelapse in the Keyframe Wizard (but at the moment, we don't know what changes we will do)
- after a first rapid pass in Lightroom, LRTimelapse could detect the differents changes, and create the right keyframes++ (and could delete keyframes on a changed setting while that setting stay the same). That will also help creating keyframes++ only for the setting we need (like you do when you hide unchanged parameter in LRTimelapse)

In know that you have to use what Lightroom could give you in order to create keyframes (2* 3* and 4* from Lightroom now), but maybe there is something that could be used to separate keyframes (maybe the Keyword tag or something like that)

Not really sure if it would be usefull for everyone, cause it's some sort of complex workflow but maybe it could help in some cases.

Or maybe it's just cause it's 6am and I created too much keyframes (26 keyframes on 1730 pictures) on my last sunset shoot and cause I'm stuborn and a little too perfectionist, I want to tweak every little detail of the sequence Wink. I'll read that post tomorrow to see if it all make sense, now it's time to sleep -_-
#2 Gunther
You can use the Lightroom Sync as long as you turn off the checkboxes for all local adjustments (Gradients and Paintbrush).

I've thought a lot about how to work with keyframes and key frames layers etc. Unfortunately my options of implementing keyframes into the workflow are limited. The stars are the only think that will travel via XMP and allow me to filter in LR (tags, flags, etc. won't be written to XMP).

So currently you have 2 Levels of keyframes additionally to the hoyl grail compensations (2*/3* that are out of the equation, because they happen in background): 5* for crop animation, and 4* for everything else. From my experience for 99% of all cases this covers the demands. It's rather unusual to work with that many keyframes like you did with the new workflow. With all those considerations I always have in my head, that it has to be a transparent workflow that anyone will be able to understand with little efforts.

If you need to do sophisticated adjustments and transitions like you did, you can still use the manual transitions (tools tab) - those can be applied individually, regardless of the key frames and you can apply it to special columns by setting the checkboxes on the table header accordingly.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 yannick_c
I understand, KISS principle is the way to follow. No need to overcomplicate things (that must have been my 6am brain thinking too much). With your Lightroom sync explanation, that will help in a lot of cases. It was the first time I've worked with that high number of keyframes (tought it would help me with the lots of changes in the scene, but it just complicate things where there's no need to). After a night of sleep and looking at all my curves, I didn't really need all of theses keyframes. Next time, I'll just keep with a small amount of keyframes (that I'll carefully choose) and add some other ones on a 2nd pass for gradients tweaks or try with the manual transition in the tools tab (don't really understand how that works now, is there some help or tutorial about it somewhere ?)

Thanks for your explanations
#4 Gunther
For the manual transitions, just select the rows and columns that you want to apply a linear or curved transition and click on the button. Just try it with a test sequence and monitor the curves, you will quickly learn, how it works.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: