• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My motion controller shortlist - am I right?

#1 Jetstream Rider
I'd like a rail and motion controller. I have seen some threads here and looked at what I can find.  I really need something compact and light - I travel with work and want to shoot time lapse while I am away and I am restricted on having the rail in my suitcase and not being weighed down with lots of kit. My budget isn't massive.  I know I am probably asking for the Moon on a stick, but some of the constraints are well beyond my control.

At the moment it looks like a Syrp fits the bill, and any sort of rail - so I can find a rail that is light and extendable, so that it comes apart and can be put in a suitase. The eMotimo looks great, but I think it is too bulky for my needs.  I have access to cheap rails in China, so if I can find a smooth carbon one, then the Syrp seems to inteface via the rope with it ok.

Is my thinking right?  Is there something better for portability, that still gives 2 axis control?

I have seen something similar to a Rhinogear (see other thread) - that looks good, but it seems has disadvantages of not being able to see the screen in the daylight, and not be able to do vertical tracking? I think the software has been updated now to allow you to set the interval, so that issue has been overcome?

Am I right in my thinking, or should I be looking at a different solution?  I have the bits for Gunther's controller so I can make one of those too.

Thanks for any advice.
#2 latsap
Dynamic Perceptions make modular track.
I started with 6 feet of it and have been adding as I need.
Here's a link to a vertical test over 6 feet - we'll be doing some much longer ones over the next month.
https://vimeo.com/236982279/364e8e8bdd

I like their system and it can pack down in the 20/40 or 60 inch lengths so very portable.
Architectural Photographer
Vancouver CAN / Melbourne AUS
#3 KidsOfAllAges
I would recommed an open solution like the NMX controller that basically controls any stepper motor. Syrp and Rhino are great , but very limited in terms of extendability. Get a NMX, basically any stepper driven slider, like the DP S1 or S0 and a rotary axis, like the Nic-O-Tilt (http://kids-of-all-ages.de/motion-contro...ilt-bundle) and you are all set. I personally cut a DP S0 rail to 60 cm so it fits in any suitcase. The rail itself is inexpensive (depening on where you live), so having a short and long one might be a good idea. If you have more budget, the DP S1 is a great slider that easily folds down into a suitcase or backpack.
kids-of-all-ages.de

Motion Control Rental, Sales & Service
Timelapse Slider, Pan &Tilt, Controller

Offizieller Distributor von
Dynamic Perception, eMotimo, Rhino Camera Gear, TBox Systems
& Berkey System

Wir sind Partner der Teltec AG

#4 Jetstream Rider
Thanks very much.

Where is the motor for controlling the slide? Is it in the Nic-O-Tilt? I can see that there are motors there for the tilt or pan, but does it include a slider motor too? Sorry if thats a stupid question, I just can't work out that bit.

I take it the batteries are all built in too?

Thanks again.
#5 KidsOfAllAges
The Nic-O-Tilt is basically an assembly of two stepper motors and some gears. No batteries or controller electronics, which makes it very reliant. You will need a controller like the NMX that controls the motor. The slider motor needs to be a stepper motor. DP and other manufacturers offer different models with different gearboxes. Choose one depending on your needs (fast but weaker, slow, but stronger).
Batteries are not built. Since the motors are powered by the controller, the battery would need to be built into the controller, which is, in my opinion, not the best idea as they are usually to weak to be of real use, break easily and you will very likely need an external battery anyway. The only reason I can think of where an internal battery makes sense is to use it as a "capacitor" while exchanging an external battery without cutting power to the rig.
kids-of-all-ages.de

Motion Control Rental, Sales & Service
Timelapse Slider, Pan &Tilt, Controller

Offizieller Distributor von
Dynamic Perception, eMotimo, Rhino Camera Gear, TBox Systems
& Berkey System

Wir sind Partner der Teltec AG

#6 Jetstream Rider
Many thanks.  Sorry its taken a while to say so, been super busy with a new baby etc.

Kind regards.

...also check out: