• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 psih
Sorry for my English.
I want to use ND filter for shooting day timelapse (for blur birds and flying insects). But, I also want shooting after sunset. So, it is clear, that I must remove ND filter from my camera. But, after I'll do it, the exposure will strongly changed and WB also can be changed. So, how photographers shooting timelapse "day and night"? With ND filter and remove it (if yes, when the best time for do it?) or without ND filter and manually deleting birds?
#2 Gunther
Personally I don't recommend using ND filters when shooting the Holy Grail all the way until darkness, because you would have to remove the filter, and that will most likely mess up your shooting.
If you shoot in urban situations, where it won't get really dark, you can shoot with an 8x or 64x ND filter and leave it on all the time. But if you want to go until the milky way, just work without ND filter. I use 3 way ramping (Aperture, ISO, Exposure) instead with qDslrDashboard and Auto-Holy Grail. Starting with ISO50 and and f/16 will give rather long exposures too at the beginning.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 psih
It is sad. I'm just now have bought a ND filter. Well, I think it will be useful for waterfall shooting. May be variable ND filter could be useful for timelapse? It could be decrease ND before dark, and after that remove it? Thank you for your answer!
#4 richparry
I remove the birds in post.
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.
#5 Gunther
An ND filter is very important for nearly all time lapse shooting during the day. The only exception is holy grail shots because of the said reasons.
A Vario ND is not a solution since it will introduce other problems.

Mobile via Tapatalk.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 rodrigo
Hi Psih, what camera do you have I have shot sunsets without ND filters using a Canon camera, but I apply the exposure compensation as I shoot until it goes dark and they come out OK. Then do any corrections in light room on the key frames. I use same technique during day shooting and sunrise. I haven't done a milkyway yet as here in Liverpool is always claudy and if not to much light pollution, I hope to do one this summer out in Wales.

Regards,

Rodrigo
#7 psih
(2017-05-04, 18:27)rodrigo Wrote: Hi Psih, what camera do you have I have shot sunsets without ND filters using a Canon camera, but I apply the exposure compensation as I shoot until it goes dark and they come out OK. Then do any corrections in light room on the key frames. I use same technique during day shooting and sunrise. I haven't done a milkyway yet as here in Liverpool is always claudy and if not to much light pollution, I hope to do one this summer out in Wales.

Regards,

Rodrigo

I have Canon 600d (for timelapse) and Canon 6d (for photo). May be I will use Canon 6d for timelapse, after I get a skills. Now it useless wasting of shutter count. 
If to do shots without ND, I have a lot of dirty (birds, insects). If increase AV, 16 or 22, I have a little dots from dust on sensor. My sensor is quite clear, I have 3-5 points, but I have a problem with deleting one on whole sequence. So it is way, but this way also difficult. It is sad, that there is don't exist one right way for shooting timelapse from day to milky way.
#8 psih
May be my question is stupid, but what is Holy Grail? I know that it is a vessel, but how it linked with timelapse?
#9 MMeier
Hi
Holy grail is the transition from day to night or night to day.
Regards Monika

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
#10 psih
Ok, I understood it. Thank you.

...also check out: