• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need a 2 Axis Slider / Motion Control Recommendation

#1 stevodevo
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a 2 axis slider that I can do Holy Grail timelapses on using qDslrDashboard.  I've been looking at the Rhino Evo and the Edelkrone, but is there something that is recommended here in the forums that would support HG Timelapse natively?  

-Steve
#2 KidsOfAllAges
Afaik, there is not motion controller that natively offers HG functionality. Some motion controllers can be slaved to the camera (sync port), then you can run the HG with Dashboard and let the camera
trigger the motion controller for perfect synchronization.
At the moment Rhino Motion can't be slaved and I am not sure if Edelkrone can. DP NMX, eMotimo Spectrum, MDK controller do have slave inputs.
However, you can run HG without sync. We have tested this with Rhino Motion - with the current firmware you do need to adjust the exp. time as it is very long by default and blocks the camera- but setting it shorter than the interval will give you time to adjust you exposure settings with qDDB.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
kids-of-all-ages.de

Motion Control Rental, Sales & Service
Timelapse Slider, Pan &Tilt, Controller

Offizieller Distributor von
Dynamic Perception, eMotimo, Rhino Camera Gear, TBox Systems
& Berkey System

Wir sind Partner der Teltec AG

#3 stevodevo
Thanks for the reply. I was doing more digging into this and it looks like the DP NMX might be a good way to go. I guess the next question is what are their sliders like? I don't have any slider equipment so can I use a different vendors sliders with the NMX? Or if their pan / tilt / slide equipment is good, then maybe I should look at buying their gear. The price seems right as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#4 stevodevo
Also I'm using a Canon 6D which qDDB will communicate with via Wifi. So would that allow me to use a non-slave motion controller? Or would that mess up the move shoot move function?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#5 KidsOfAllAges
DP's sliders and P/T are pretty solid. Their customer service is great. It's a modular system, so you can adapt it to your needs- which results in slightly more complex setup than, for example, Rhino.
Get the Sapphire head if you go for a P/T, the Stage R is a bit bulky for my taste...
If you are based in the US contact Jay or Ryan at DP. If you are in Europe, we are happy to serve you :-)
Regarding 6D/Dashboard - SMS: If there is no sync between the camera and motion controller you need to pay attention to make sure that you don't get unwanted movement- with sync this can't
happen because the rig will only move once the controller detects the PC signal.

kids-of-all-ages.de

& Berkey System

#6 stevodevo
Thanks for the reply - who is P/T?
#7 yimiblu
(2017-02-21, 05:17)stevodevo Wrote: Thanks for the reply - who is P/T?

Pan tilt

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
#8 Primecut
(2017-02-20, 22:05)KidsOfAllAges Wrote: Afaik, there is not motion controller that natively offers HG functionality. Some motion controllers can be slaved to the camera (sync port), then you can run the HG with Dashboard and let the camera
trigger the motion controller for perfect synchronization.
At the moment Rhino Motion can't be slaved and I am not sure if Edelkrone can. DP NMX, eMotimo Spectrum, MDK controller do have slave inputs.
However, you can run HG without sync. We have tested this with Rhino Motion - with the current firmware you do need to adjust the exp. time as it is very long by default and blocks the camera- but setting it shorter than the interval will give you time to adjust you exposure settings with qDDB.

Hello Matthias, i have purchased a Rhino Motion Evo with Motion from you last summer. I tried adjusting exposure time on Motion to the minimum possible so that i couldb shorte than the interval but i see that it doenst work. If i set it to 1/30(minim possible with firmware i have at the moment), with an interval of 4 sec, it loses sync with movement because Motion also uses Exposure time to calculate final lenght of clip(you can see when changing exposure on Motion, clip lenght automatically changes too), hence, with an exposure 1/30 it moves more quickly. I found that setting exposure on Motion longer than exposure set on camera, works better because it calculates a bigger interval due to bigger exposure. How do you manage to do the aproach you´ve mentioned?
Thanks
#9 KidsOfAllAges
You actually set the interval by adjusting running time and playback time- then you can change the exposuretime to a lower value without changing the interval.

kids-of-all-ages.de

& Berkey System

...also check out: