• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need an Ramping solution for Sony A7SIII (alternative to qDSLRDashboard)

#11 TGPhoto
Sorry it didn't help.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I don't have an A7SIII but was thinking of getting one specifically for timelapse. Now thinking twice about it.
#12 big0mike
I got an "Arsenal" v2 specifically for this. It came early this week and I'll be testing it soon. I actually came here to see if anyone is using it successfully.

I found qDSLR Dashboard to be extremely buggy and gave up using it after only a couple tries. I thought it had great promise but even the developer doesn't seem to care too much about it.
#13 Gunther
I can assure you that many pro's work with qDslrDashboard and with the right setup it works perfectly, otherwise I wouldn't be recommending it.
Zoltan is supportive, but he also has limits in what he can do given the amount of different cameras, mobile devices and connection types that can be combined.

If you want support for your qDDB Setup, feel free to post your configuration (Camera Type, Mobile device etc.) in a new thread in the qDslrDashboard forum and maybe we can help you.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#14 big0mike
I'm gonna give this Arsenal unit a try. If it works it will make the whole thing much simpler. If it doesn't I may try the qDSLR method again...
#15 Gunther
Please keep us posted.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#16 eins75
Hello Gunter,

I came across this thread because I am looking for an alternative to qDBB. My actual problem is in the last paragraph.

You say so nicely that one should open a thread in the qDDB forum if one has a problem with the app. I did this and a day later the thread is no longer there. Whether it was deleted or there was another problem remains a matter of speculation. I respect your work more than anything and I have bought and use LRT and I also respect Zoltan's work, but my problem has already been posted three times in the forum by other users and each post got no answer from him.

I ask you Gunter if you might have an idea where the problem might be with qDBB. The transition of the HG from day to night works without problems, but not the transition from night to day. qDBB starts to reduce the ISO value down to 50, then it should adjust the shutter speed. But the app doesn't, it always stays at 25 seconds. The result is overexposed photos in the end. I use a lens with manual aperture. Do you have any ideas?

BR Carsten
#17 hubaiz
Probably the problem is that the min ISO was set (internaly) before that camera ISO property was properly initialize.
Before enabling the AHG be sure to click the 'Min ISO' button and to select an ISO value from the list.
If that does not help then contact me with the support at dslrdashboard.info mail.
#18 big0mike
I totally forgot about this thread...

The Arsenal works a little. My experience with it was that it did ramp the exposure but it doesn't quite know how to expose for night.

My first test had the night time frames way overexposed. I was able to correct it somewhat in LR but the damage was already done and the images, and resulting time lapse, where less than spectacular.

My second test with it I started with the EV scale (allows you to let the unit set the exposure but over/under expose it) set to 0 and as the light started to diminish I slowly bumped that scale down, ultimately reaching -2 or -3, I can't remember. This provided better results with less work in LR afterwards.

This gave me hope but I also figured if I have to mess with the EV scale then I may as well mess with the full exposure controls and went back to manually doing the exposure via shutter speed and ISO. I like to keep my aperture constant to avoid any changes of DoF.

I would be nice if qDLSR Dashboard worked but I've all but given up on it working with new Sony cameras...
Michael Stevens
WideOpen.media
#19 eins75
Thanks Zoltan, I tried a timelapse last night and everything works fine now!

...also check out: