• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie confused

#1 txrpls
Ok I have read the book over and over and I am still confused. Let's say I want a finished product at 30fps. What would my optimal shutter speed be for 1 sec spacing and 10 sec spacing use the 180 degree rule? 1/60?
#2 Gunther
You don't need to take that 180 degree rule too seriously - this is an academic approach that should lead you in the right direction of using rather longer exposures.

So when having an interval of 5 sec. it would be 2.5 sec of exposure. It has nothing to do with the framerate of the finished film (30fps).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 txrpls
(2012-11-18, 12:31)gwegner Wrote: You don't need to take that 180 degree rule too seriously - this is an academic approach that should lead you in the right direction of using rather longer exposures.

So when having an interval of 5 sec. it would be 2.5 sec of exposure. It has nothing to do with the framerate of the finished film (30fps).

Thanks for the reply. Now I am really confused. In your book you state the 180 degree exposure time is 1/(frame rate * 2) which in my case = 1/60. I tried this shooting at 1/60 f8 and 15 second interval. The scene was mostly cloundy with occasional bright sun. The result where less than desirable with horrible flicker. I think the radical changing of exposure from sunny to cloundy to be the main cause. In the previous example 7.5 seconds would be way to long even with a heavy ND applied. what should have been my approach.
#4 Gunther
You misinterpreted what I wrote in the book. That formula applies to video shooting where frame-rate and interval are correlated and I transferred it to our time lapse situations.
So if you take half of the interval time as exposure time is what would lead to the 180 deg. shutter.
As I said, don't take this too seriously. In reality most of the time this isn't achievable. What it means is that you'll get great results with rather longer exposures. If you shoot with 5 sec intervals, use an ND and go for the longest you can.
Your flicker results from shooting with aperture of f/8. Use the open aperture and then put the ND on your cam and forget about the math - you'll get great results. Intervals of 15sec's in bright daylight are usually too long as well. Try 5 secs as I wrote.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 txrpls
(2012-11-19, 18:31)gwegner Wrote: You misinterpreted what I wrote in the book. That formula applies to video shooting where frame-rate and interval are correlated and I transferred it to our time lapse situations.
So if you take half of the interval time as exposure time is what would lead to the 180 deg. shutter.
As I said, don't take this too seriously. In reality most of the time this isn't achievable. What it means is that you'll get great results with rather longer exposures. If you shoot with 5 sec intervals, use an ND and go for the longest you can.
Your flicker results from shooting with aperture of f/8. Use the open aperture and then put the ND on your cam and forget about the math - you'll get great results. Intervals of 15sec's in bright daylight are usually too long as well. Try 5 secs as I wrote.

Thanks for the reply. I got it now. I was trying to make it to complicated. I'll try another experiment tomorrow. Hope the desert is a fun trip. I just received my Emotimo and I am excited about trying it out soon.

...also check out: