• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newby - jittery(not flickery) videos

#1 Kappabear
Hi all,

I'm extremely new to photographing and post-processing time lapse videos. I've been playing around and trying to get my photography settings down, so that I can get the look that I'm after. It's been really windy at my house, so I've been photographing the wind blowing the leafs, plants and trees as the motion for my videos. The lighting is boring, but consistent, which is a good thing for me, as I learn. I'm shooting completely in manual (focus, ISO, shutter, aperture, and white balance) . ISO is fixed at 200 (native for my camera), shutter 1/60 or 1/30 with an ND filter, aperture 6.4 or 8, white balance set to "sunny", and using and electronic shutter (as opposed to mechanical), image stabilization off, and interval ranging from 1 second to 4 seconds. The few videos that I've created are very basic, and have been completely flicker free, however, they're "jumpy", and no where near as "smooth" as many of the videos that I've seen. So to that end, I'm wondering what I can do to make the videos less jittery/jumpy, and more smooth?

Thanks in advance!
#2 rodrigo
Any example?. Do you use a tripod, what camera, interval are you shooting with?
#3 Gunther
Some very basic considerations: capturing leaves in the wind or trees is not the best subject for timelapse. For timelapse you should use subjects that are too slow for the eye to see them - timelapse will then reveal the movement. If you have movements that are already fast, timelapse is not the right tool. Just use video or slowmotion to capture those.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 Kappabear
Hi Gunther,

Thank you for your response. That makes a lot of sense!

I photographed (using a tripod on my Fuji X-T2) some really distant clouds (with an 100-400mm lens) at ƒ/14 at 1/60 of a second with a 1 second interval, and some at ƒ/6.4 at 1/60 with a 4 second interval. They both play back just fine, but are playing a much faster that I'd like. I exported the video using LR, which I assume was created at 29.97 fps. How can I go about slowing the Export playback down?

Also, I bought your manual a few years ago, and need to read it again. I have the 5th edition, has it been updated since then, especially for version 5 of LRT?

Best

...also check out: