• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nexus 7 2013 OTG USB cable to Nikon D700 & D810?

#1 aaronpriest
I took a timelapse with 30 second shutter and 35 second interval with my D700, a Sandisk Extreme Pro CF card, and the TPLink router. I figured that would be more than enough time for JPEGs to get transferred and analyzed with a D700 and JPEG Basic/Small (~370KB files), but the actual interval was all over the place between 35 and 71. A 10 second interval works fine with the D700, but that leaves too big a gap for star trails. I know the Ramper Pro works fine with a 1 or 2 second interval with the D700 and fast CF card analyzing JPEGs and it is likely slower hardware (Raspberry Pi) than a Nexus 7 2013, so the TPLink wireless connection must be adding a significant delay, even when I'm within 10 feet of it and perfect signal strength. Do you have any suggestions for a cable that would work with the D700 and D810? Wired wasn't an option with iOS, but now that I also have an Android Nexus 7 2013 tablet maybe I should try wired. I'm reading in lots of forums that an OTG cable doesn't work without hacking the OS and rooting it, etc. I've also not been able to get a timelapse longer than 2hrs without the app crashing or sitting there doing nothing when I check up on it later. I suspect WiFi is also to blame for this.
#2 Wire14
Hi Aaron,

I also use the Nexus 7. An OTG Cable is working without hacking the OS (if you mean the Nexus OS and not the iOS OS). So you just need a normal usb cable on the one end and a right port on the other end to connect this to your DSLR, and of course the OTG Cable.

Regards, Chris
#3 aaronpriest
2012 or 2013 model? It's the 2013 model I heard wasn't working like the 2012, but I haven't bought a cable yet.
#4 Wire14
Ok I have the 2012 Version. But I would give it a try. The OTG cable just cust a few dollars/euro. If it then works with an usb stick it should also work with qdslrdashboard
#5 aaronpriest
Yup, I've heard USB sticks don't work without rooting it either. I'll give it a go though and see what happens.

...also check out: