• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Night time lapse

#1 rodrigo
Hi, it was a nice moonless, clear and  crispy winter's night in Old Liverpool, ( no, don't worry I'm not going to sing Speedy Gonzales), I decide to try to take a few frames of astrotimelapse, nothing interested as I was just testing, never done it before.
I'm using a Canon 5D MK IV with the 24-105mm canon lens @ 24mm. I use manual setting Managed to set the Speed to 25" but the only ISO setting I could use was ISO 100, to be able to bring the AP compensation to the middle. If I set the ISO any higher the AP compensation would shoot right over to the right making the shots overexposed. So I manage to shoot 80 frames of the constellation of Orion, just to try it, and I am impressed, many people would not think so, but for a first time I am. I live in the middle of Liverpool so to try to get a dark, artificial light free night is impossible. I know that I would have to go to a dark spot, if I want to take a nice one.
I have a Sigma 17-35 aspherical HSM but I don't think it is that sharp. and that  is proving a challange. any suggestions a what lens would be the best to shoot astrotimelopses?
I include a frame from the sequence of 80.

regards,

Rodrigo
#2 Gunther
It does not make sense to shoot this with ISO 100. Forget the metering of the camera. Use M Mode. Set the exposure time to 16 Seconds, ISO to 3200. Aperture wide open. Give it a go. Check the brightness and histogram of the captured image. If necessary boost the ISO even further, Exposure time should not be much higher.
I'd get some experience with this, before considering buying a new lens.
One of the best lenses for this kind of stuff is the Sigma 20 f/1.4 in my opinion. But, you can do so much better with your current equipment and the right technique.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 rodrigo
Thank Gunther, you are quite right, it is all in the technique, the right technique comes with expereince, in mean time where can I read about the right technique?,much appreciated.

Rodrigo
#4 rameshtahlan
rodrigo.

I have taken this still from my timlapse.
Samyang 14mm/2.8. I had to set aperture to f4 to avoid Coma effect. Could not use wide open at 2.8 cause or Coma effect.
Camera Canon to M, ISO 3200. and exposure of around 20 sec.

Last year i used Sigma 24mm/1.4 but could not use wide open, again due to Coma effect, so used f 2.8
and results were super
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#5 Gunther
Hi Rodrigo, I think a good start would be my ebook: http://lrtimelapse.com/shop/ebook
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 rameshtahlan
gwegner

I have the Time Lapse Shooting and Processing e Book
and it is fantastic.
A collection that is a must
loved it

...also check out: