• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon D500 Query

#1 Pretender
Hi All
Seriously considering the D500 as an additional camera to a D750.  Would very much appreciate any thoughts on the following:
Does the aperture stay open on live view mode as does the D750?
Is the connection through snapbridge to qdslr on iOS all OK?
Finally does anyone have any comparative shots between the D750 and D500 regarding image quality?

We are very interested in taking advantage of the crop factor present on the D500 for the FX lenses we have.

Thanks for any comments and thoughts.

Craig
#2 Gunther
Cameras with Snapbridge (incl. D500, D7500, D5600) currently do not work reliably via Wifi over Wifi since you cannot turn on WiFi separately. The current versions of the Snapbridge App will kill the WiFi connections when you switch to another App.
Basically this makes the WiFi of those cameras useless for us timelapse photographers.
It's an annoyance that Nikon could easily fix with a firmware update (just give us a way to manually turn on/off Wifi on the camera) - but currently they stick to their stupid approach. Please complain directly to Nikon. The more users do, the better.
The only reliable way to use those cameras with qDDB currently would be a USB-Connection to an Android Smart Device with OTG capabilities, or using the TP-Link router with the DDServer to connect the smart Device via Wifi to the Router that is connected to the camera.
The image quality of the D750 sensor is still better in terms of Dynamic Range and Noise as the one of the D500/D7500 although the latter is the best APS-C Sensor available and is very good.
If Snapbridge doesn't bother you, and you don't need the fast fps of the D500, I'd recommend to have a look at the new D7500 also - it delivers a lot of camera for the money.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Pretender
Thanks Gunther. Greatly appreciated. From your understanding/experience, is the difference in quality between the D750 and D7500 only seen when carefully checking the iq side by side, or is it noticeable even when not comparing side by side? I will do some test myself but appreciate your thoughts.
As for the wifi, that is certainly disappointing. I will contact them.
Also do you know if the live view feature of the D500/7500 holds the aperture open when connected to qdslr via OTG/laptop?
#4 Gunther
When shooting the Milkyway you might see differences, otherways not so. Liveview on D500/D7500 is like on D750 - aperture can be changed, exposure simulation possible.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: