• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon D750 - 999 images error

#1 stars
Hi,

Using Nikon D750 and qDSLRdashboard:

Before my time-lapse shoot was finished last night the camera got to 999 images in a folder on card in slot 1, and then stopped with ERR

The camera manual says more than 999 shots and 999 folders will cause this, but I have only four folders on the card.

Is there a magic trick to overcome this ?   should I format the card before each shot for example ?

Stars
#2 Gunther
I've never experienced this with my D750s. But I'd definitely recommend to format the card in the camera before each shot. Ich you have a second card in the camera, check that too. Maybe it's corrupt. Format that one too. This is not a regular behavior.
Set the camera to use the second card as spare card when the first is full (menu setting).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 stars
Hi Gunther,

I was hoping you would respond !  many thanks.

They are both new cards but I will reformat them both and retry.

Trouble is I have to wait 999 shots to be sure !!

I am running now with a D750 with Sigma Art 20mm lens, plus Qdslr and getting great results.

A happy New Year to the you and the team Gunther !

Stars
#4 stars
Here is an update:

The original fault ended the shoot with the shutter open, camera blocked with ERR error, and wifi off. 

It happened at image 999 so I thought maybe I had the dreaded 999/9999 problem, already know and resolved by Nikon recall. If I did have this problem then that could suggest out of date firmware and, maybe, a grey market camera.

However, the occasional fault continues and is nothing at all to do with 999 images, it has happened now three or four times at any number of images. I have reformatted the cards and set to card 2 in use as overflow.

Nikon have confirmed the firmware is up to date and responded very well to the problem.. I bought the camera direct from Nikon Europe.

I have returned the camera now to Nikon for them to test and examine under warranty. 

But I expect it will be OK and so I will continue to try to figure it out, and a prime suspect will be wifi interference from nearby routers.

I use Dslr running on an ipad, one metre from the Nikon.

I would appreciate any/all ideas.
#5 Gunther
I think you should try to evaluate first, if it's only happening when shooting with qDslrDashboard, or if it happens too when shooting via a regulare intervalometer. Just let the camera run. Do test shots, there is no point in ruining "real" shots with this experiements.

Say you can shoot a 2000 image sequence in you backyard without problems with a regular intervalomer like the pixel, then do the same and add qDDB to the equation. This will help you to narrow down the problem.

If you think qDDB is involved, please contact the developer directly via dslrdashboard.info - maybe he has heard of a similar case.

I can only say that I'm exclusively shooting timelapse with 2 D750s since 2 years now, mostly using qDDB via internal wifi and that works perfectly.
#6 stars
Thanks Gunther,

I will have to wait for the camera body to come back. The help desk was 'very concerned' when they heard about 'ERR' and they recommended an examination.

This will determine whether the camera itself is the cause, or whether the camera error is the effect.

You are right, when I can I will simplify everything and then add complexity bit by bit.

So a simple  cloudlapse to start with, then I will add more variables, qDDB, intervalometers, step by step.

I note your comment about taking qDDB problems elsewhere and will do once the camera is eliminated from the list of suspects.

I will keep you up to speed once I find a solution.

Cheers and thanks
#7 stars
Just to finish this in a positive light...

D750 now has a new shutter, fitted under warranty.

qDDB on ipad, wifi to D750 now works perfectly. A 1300 frame cloud and moon lapse was flawless.
qDDB on iMAC, ethernet to TPlink then USB to D750, also tested, flawless.

There is no problem at all with 999 images causing folder overflow, as I first suspected.

The camera crash was not caused by qDDB/wifi etc...It seems it was the inverse. Difficult to distinguish cause from symptom !

Thanks for sympathetic listening Gunther, and well done with version 4.7.5
#8 Gunther
Perfect, glad it's working now for you!

...also check out: