• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How the Moon affects Holy Grail Ramping

#1 LTWorld
After checking how poorly the internal intervalometer works in my camera, I've just bought the LRTimelapse Pro 3 and will be using it in June in Utah and Wyoming.

I've been scouting out locations via satellite imagery--will be backcountry in Canyonlands, Yellowstone, etc, so perfect conditions with beautiful scenery for foreground elements like rock spires, geyser basins, etc.

For the first part of the trip, the ~quarter moon will be rising a few hours before the sunrise, and I'd like to capture the sequence of Milky Way to moon rise with Milky Way to sunrise.

A quarter moon will have much less brightness than a full moon, but I wonder how that will affect the images as I don't want to white out the foreground. I'm imagining the software doesn't compensate for moonlight, but perhaps that's incorrect. I'd prefer to let the software do its thing so I can get a good night's sleep. But if I need to get up for moonrise to change the settings, so be it. What do you suggest?

thank you,

Lloyd
#2 Gunther
Normally a rising Moon before sunset should be no problem for qDDB, if it's in Sunrise mode.
Make sure to use NTC, if you want to do it unattendently.

But depending on how important that shooting is, if it were for a paying client, I'd be monitoring the transition personally to be able to intervene and fine tune the reference value while shooting. There will be other days of a "good night's sleep"... ;-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 LTWorld
Thank you. Yes, looks like the moon will be rising about an hour before astronomical twilight, so I'll put it in sunrise mode and then test it out. I'll have plenty of days to trial and error it, so if I need to stay up for critical nights, then I will.

...also check out: