• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

October 30 Aurora

#1 malcolmp
For the weekend of October 30th a KP7 event was predicted. I found this to be quite appealing, as the last time I saw an event of this magnitude it was simply awesome. So on October 29th, I decided to chase it.
The plan: Find clear skies and run a time-lapse all night.
Reviewing the weather forecast, running an all night time-lapse in my backyard, or even within a short drive of my home north of Kingston seemed out of the question. Clouds everywhere.
So I had to find a clearing. The nearest clear sky was forecast to be between Sudbury and Sault Ste Marie on Saturday night.
Ok, lets find a place in this region that has a north facing shoreline on a large body of water (for reflections), a place to rest and stay warm, electricity to power cameras and dew heaters all night, Wi-Fi and is safe.
Hello Ranger Lake Resort!
The challenge? 900km drive each way.
But with the destination established, the rest was easy.
I packed up my bags on Friday night, and hit the road at 7am Saturday.
I arrived at 5:00pm and had plenty of time to scout for a primary shooting location, to set up and plug everything in and get the timelapse camera up and running.
I really wanted to do a Holy Grail sequence of sunset into night time and that went well, and when the KP hit 4 so early I thought we were in for a show.
But it failed to materialize to the extent predicted, and some called it a bust. For me, I had the sky, the location, and the aurora all to myself, and as you can see in this video, it was worth it (at least for me).

https://www.photopark.ca/Videos/i-X8PJCrQ/A

...also check out: