• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Oh No, Another Error Message from Vimeo

#11 scott@on-sight.com
Motorised, it looks like we can open the Video Presets ina text editor and cahnge the bit rate and other options. I've got to run to a meeting right now but if you have time, play around with this. Perhaps we can make and publish our own set of Vimeo compatible presets...
Scott Martin
www.martinphoto.com
#12 Motorised
Ok, I'm in.

I agree with you about the elegance and keeping the simplicity of the workflow. I'm not too happy about messing around with video editors at all. I thought maybe Ulli was onto something, but there again, maybe not.

I'm sure I remember reading something about the redundancy of video editors in Gunther's book. Tomorrow I'll go back over it again and see what it says specifically. I'm sure it said something about video editors being completely redundant.

We obviously share the same goals about using vimeo as a showcase, so the quality of output is imperative to my future intentions. I have seen some remarkably good quality video on vimeo, so I know it can be done.

But before I start editing templates in notepad++ I shall need to know what I'm doing. But it sure sounds worth a try, especially if the editing is easily accomplished.
#13 Motorised
Ok, we’ve had developments. It’s easy enough to edit the bit rates of the templates. It’s simplicity in itself, but it hasn’t really improved matters at all.

As soon as you lower the bit rate the muddier the rendered video’s become. Most of the experiments I’ve done today, I immediately deleted because they were so bad.

I asked Vimeo for assistance and offered the results of my experiments. They arrived at the same bit rate as I did, but it didn’t work at all.

It now transpires that Vimeo don’t think it’s the bit rate after all, but they failed to offer any explanation of just what they think the problem might be.

I’ve asked and now I’m waiting for a reply. There's nothing to do but wait for the reply.

I’ll keep you posted.
#14 Ulli
(2013-01-28, 20:15)scott@on-sight.com Wrote: I'm creating dynamic multi-sequence timelapse videos from a variety of sources.
How do you do this without a video editing software? What you get from Lightroom is footage and you have to so some postprocessing with it - that's the workflow.
Unfortunately Lightroom ist'n able to export in any other format than mp4, so Gunther gave his templates thes highest possible Bitrate to keep the best quality which is possible with the LRT-LR-Workflow and make postprocessing possible. This would not when using low bitrates like vimeo works with when uploading final videos. Every editing software I can imagine can read mp4 with H.264, so there's no problem in my opinion?!?
If you want the best possible quality you've to do you normal work with LR an LRTimelapse an then import the processed RAW-Sequence directly in you editing-software. Don't know which have the ability to do this - with Adobe After Effects it's possible. You can go to lossless avi from your RAW-Files but I'm sure you'll not see any difference when watching the final video on vimeo in comparison to working with a 100MBit mp4 from Lightroom.

Look at https://vimeo.com/50979925 for example - 4k mp4 with the Pro-Templates from Gunther, editing and rendering (1080p) in Premiere and there are no such compression artefacts ...

Uli
#15 Motorised
Ok Ulli, I stand corrected. At least I think I do, as I can’t really understand what you’re saying.

Can you go back and edit your post into understandable English and repost it, so we all know what it is you’re talking about. Hopefully, we can then discuss the merits of AE & Premier.

Come on Ulli, make an effort to do the job properly and post a message that we can all understand and avoid ambiguity. Just because Gunther writes in ambiguous English, doesn’t mean everybody can. Or, that it’s fashionable. It’s not, and leaves too much room for error in interpretation and makes a conversation impossible to follow without arriving at the wrong conclusion.
#16 Gunther
Okay guys. Believe me, editing the templates will not help you. I spent days figuring the right and best settings. If you want the best quality with Lightroom, use the PRO templates to export an then post process in a Video Editing program (merge different sequences, cross-fade, add music) and then export in max. 10MBps for Vimeo.

If you feed the files the PRO templates generate directly to vimeo, vimeo will do the conversion, that's for sure inferior!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#17 Motorised
It would certainly be oh so easy to get totally confused, with so much conflicting advice.

Firstly there’s the Error Message from Vimeo, that I assume relates to the poor conversion from mp4 to flash movie. See Below……

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just a warning…

We have some recommendations for this video:

This video's datarate is 60197kbps, which is pretty high. For HD video, we suggest you use a lower datarate, typically 5000kbps. A lower data rate means smaller video files and faster uploading.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Vimeo are asking for a lower bit rate? If I’ve got this right, both Gunther and Ulli are suggesting I need to increase the bit rate to the absolute maximum for decent playback on Vimeo?

Have I got that right so far?

From what I can understand from both Gunther and Ulli, import into a video editor for post processing and then export at the maximum quality for uploading to vimeo. Then I/we will get the decent quality playback from Vimeo that Ulli’s got with his video, which is certainly very good and very impressive.

I hope I’ve got this straight, because I’ve just invested in a video suite.

But it begs the question, what are Vimeo on about when they suggest lowering the bit rate when Gunther and Ulli are telling us that the exact opposite is true, and that we should raise it, in order to get decent playback on Vimeo.

Personally I would rather go with Gunther and Ulli’s advice which is to import the final sequence from LR & LRT and then export at the absolute maximum quality from a video suite for good quality playback on Vimeo.

So why is Vimeo giving conflicting advice? Or, is Vimeo's error message to be ignored, as it's giving false information?

Can somebody please enlighten me in plain English and put an end to my confusion…….please?
#18 Gunther
No, I'm not saying to increase the bitrate. You have to decrease it!!
Vimeo only takes max 10MBps, and you are feeding it 60MBps files.
#19 Motorised
Thank you Gunther. What you say ties in with the information on Vimeo’s help pages.

The confusion arises from ambiguous use of the English language, and also items, settings and procedures not being covered in your book.

May I suggest another chapter, with a less ambiguous translation… please???

We need more information to work with, to stop us from stumbling around in the dark. It's a forgone conclusion that most people who buy your commercial licence are going to use Vimeo as a showcase. So the information is a necessity and not a luxury.

Having said that, thank you for stepping in when your expertise was required. But don't go too far away...? We're bound to need you again, anytime soon.

PS, send your new chapter to me and I’ll translate it for you. Or at least convert it into non ambiguous English.
#20 Gunther
Hi, the whole video post processing is not covered in that EBook, you are right. I'm currently thinking about a sequel or adding some chapters. I will for sure consider your kind offer helping me with the translation.

If you have further questions I'm here, no worries.

...also check out: