• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

OPINION THREAD: Construction timelapses using ND filters??

#1 kornhulios
So I'm shooting timelapses in the construction business. I would like to know peoples opinions on shooting timelapses using ND filters in long-term timelapses such as in construction projects.

Is it worth the ekstra cost, are there any downsides, or is it just an improvement due to more motion blur? Is motion blur even that desireble in construction timelapses?

I know that in shorter timelapses they can have a huge impact due to slower shutter speeds thus producing a more favorable and aesthetically motion blur.

My initial problem is that I would naturally prefer a smaller aperture because of the increased depth of field overseeing huge construction sites, however, the downside is increased shutter speed creating less or even no motion blur. Hence I am considering investing in ND filters to increase the quality of my product.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Smile

General settings:
DSLR Nikon d3300
Shooting intervals 5-10 minutes
Running time 6+ months
Aperture priority mode
ISO 100
Aperture F-16
#2 Gunther
If you use a smaller aperture, you will have longer shutter time. I'd additionally add an ND filter to get even longer exposures. This will not only give you some nice motion blur, but smooth out everything, get rid of birds, insects etc.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 kornhulios
(2017-05-05, 16:50)gwegner Wrote: If you use a smaller aperture, you will have longer shutter time. I'd additionally add an ND filter to get even longer exposures. This will not only give you some nice motion blur, but smooth out everything, get rid of birds, insects etc.

That is a good Point. Have you ever seen a consrtuction timelapse shot with ND filters high enough to make people disappear?
#4 Gunther
It depends how fast the people move! If someone stands there for a couple of seconds, you will of course see him.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: