• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Overall Brightness Curve

#1 adamchicago
LRTimelapse currently has the blue exposure curve and the yellow adjusted exposure curve but it would be great to see a final-after-adjustment brightness curve...GREEN line in attached image. My guess is it might be the average of the blue and yellow curves??? With this new brightness curve you would be able to see if the video's brightness is steadily curving up or down throughout the final sequence before you render it in LightRoom. This new curve would be based on the reference area same as the blue and yellow curves.

THEN add the ability to move the curve up and down by clicking on it and dragging...as shown by white cursor arrow in attached image. This would change all of the appropriate settings in the table. So if the final brightness curve showed an unexpected bump in the middle of the sequence you could just click on the top of that bump on the curve and drag it down to even out the curve and then the values in the table would adjust resulting in smooth brightness throughout.

The clicking and dragging on the curve to make adjustments could work like Microsoft's Power Point curve adjustment where you get two points that extend out from the point you clicked on the curve allowing you to determine how much of the bends.

#2 Gunther
This is a good idea - I will think about it. The problem however is, that the blue curve and the yellow curve are not 1:1 proportionally to each other... But I will make some experiments with this when I find the time.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 adamchicago
Thanks for the consideration.

I think it is ok that they're not 1:1 proportionally because the differences just mean the final exposure would be a little more or less exposed. On a day-to-night-time holy grail if the yellow line adjustment peaks in the curve are less than the downward troughs of the blue line that would mean the final exposure would be a little darker while if the opposite happened and the yellow peaks were greater than the blue line troughs the final image would result in a brighter final exposure so it all works out and makes sense.

The key advantage to having a final result curve is seeing graphically whether there are unexpected increases or decreases in exposure throughout the entire sequence...or not having a smooth a curve throughout.
#4 Gunther
Yes but the thing is the yellow curve is only the exposure. You could as well change other parameters in Lightroom that will affect the brightness of the image - for example lights/shadows white/black tonecurve etc. Those wouldn't be considered at all. So a straight line as you suggested would not be a guarantee for an even brightness of the results!
#5 adamchicago
That makes sense...and that's why you're the expertSmile

(2013-02-12, 10:08)gwegner Wrote: Yes but the thing is the yellow curve is only the exposure. You could as well change other parameters in Lightroom that will affect the brightness of the image - for example lights/shadows white/black tonecurve etc. Those wouldn't be considered at all. So a straight line as you suggested would not be a guarantee for an even brightness of the results!
#6 Phil Hart
(2013-02-12, 10:08)gwegner Wrote: Yes but the thing is the yellow curve is only the exposure. You could as well change other parameters in Lightroom that will affect the brightness of the image - for example lights/shadows white/black tonecurve etc. Those wouldn't be considered at all. So a straight line as you suggested would not be a guarantee for an even brightness of the results!

+1 vote for this feature. Being able to tweak exposure values to get a smoothly decreasing or increasing end result is a challenge I have. Even if the calculation of the image/reference area brightness assumed all other values (tone curve etc) were constant and just tried to work out net average brightness based on exposure value changes it would be very helpful.

Phil
#7 Gunther
Hi Phil, have you read my comments above?
#8 Phil Hart
(2013-05-07, 12:11)gwegner Wrote: Hi Phil, have you read my comments above?

Yes.. and I can see the complexity. But it is something I am battling with at the moment. Even a re-calculated curve that just took into account exposure changes and assumed everything else was constant would be better than nothing.

At the moment I am having to render the sequence in AE, look at the brightness curve generated by GB Deflicker and then go back to LRT and Lightroom to tweak exposure settings to bring parts of the sequence back into balance with the rest.

Tough to fix I know.
#9 Gunther
There is another thread covering a similar feature request http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-2pas...e-workflow

...also check out: