• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PC for time lapse processing

#1 Rhysb
I am currently using a mid 2012 Mac mini (i7 and 16gb ram with SSD) to process my timelapses and rendering previews etc takes for ever, and then again an age for de flicker.

I am looking to build a windows PC, to hopefully help speed everything up. But I was wondering what things I need to concentrate on to get the fastest performance from LRTimelaspe.

I don’t have the biggest budget and will be shopping around for parts, so for example is it worth going for a high spec graphics or will I not get the benefits from it etc,

Thanks in advance, I have seems the ultimate build post but that’s a bit out side my budget Sad
#2 Gunther
Anything will be better than that 2012 Mac Mini... (I have that for building the mac version of LRT, it's a PITA to work with. Cannot even imaging doing timelapse with this...)

Go for a W10 PC with multi core processor, the more cores, the better. Go for enough RAM (16 GB min!), go for 2 SSDs. One for the system (512GB enough) and one as work dir for timelapse. After you finished a project, you can move it from the work dir to any other (slower) harddrive.
Graphics processor is not too important, you can save here.

This is my setup (via google translate), but I guess it might be out of your budget...
https://translate.google.com/translate?s...t=&act=url
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Rhysb
Thanks for the reply, yeah your build is a bit over my budget, but it does give inspiration, I noticed you used AMD processor rather than Intel, any reason on this, and I don't suppose you would be able to recommend a good "budget", ie would a amd ryzen 5 6 core be ok or better to go for the ryzen 7 8 core. Also what extra benefit would 32gb ram give over 16, in a pure Lightroom and LRTimelapse usage situation.

Thanks
#4 Gunther
AMD ist cheaper and offers more cores for the buck.
I'd rather go for 8 cores and 16 GB than 6/32.
#5 Rhysb
Thanks, so generally for LRTimelapse, more cores are better than ram or gpu.

Time to start shopping for parts.

You also mentioned that you wouldn't consider editing a timelapse on your Mac mini is that due to the time it takes in LRTimelapse or the time around, basically how much faster is it running the LRTimelapse process of visual precise views and deflicker, on your main computer vs the Mac mini

Thanks
#6 Gunther
That mac mini is basically too slow for anything.

...also check out: