• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Possible to pause previews?

#1 meilon
Hi,

I just bought LRTimelapse after testing the trial with the limited capabilities. It worked great, but now I want to create a time lapse spanning 5 days containing nearly 7000 jpg images from a GoPro.

Not that my MBP is slow or anything, but when opening the folder it takes forever to generate the previews. When working with such big projects, could there be an option do pause automatic preview generation? When scrubbing through the timeline or selecting specific images from the list the preview for that image should still be generated. Right now I'm waiting for the preview generation to finish so the already updated XMP data can be re-read after I did my first pass in LR and this takes aaaaages.

And when I close LRTimelapse, all those preview images are removed, and have to be generated again the next time I select that folder. Couldn't those be cached somewhere and I can tell LRTimelapse when to delete them?

Kind Regards
meilon
#2 Gunther
Hi Meilon,
Let me explain, how the previews are handled in LRTimelapse, I'm sure this will help you understand how it works and how to streamline your workflow.

When first loading a folder, the previews will be generated and cached. Every subsequent load will be much faster.

Zur initial preview generation for jpg sequences is slower then for raw files. If course, with gopro footage you are limited to jpgs.

If you use the LRTimelapse importer, to bring the files from your memory card to your harddrive, the initial preview generation will happen while importing. Loading the sequence into LRTimelapse will be much faster then.

If you don't needed to use deflicker, you can ignore the preview generation at all. There is no need to wait for the previews generation to be finished, just go through the workflow while they are bring generated in background. The previews are required for playback and deflickering only - if you don't need them, just go ahead.

I hope I could clarify the process, thus making it easier and faster for you.

sent mobile via tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 meilon
Thanks for your reply, thats not how it worked yesterday:

I selected the folder with the sequence (not imported from SD via LRT) and the preview generation started. While the blue line continued to limp forward to thicken up, I selected the keyframes, saved the XMP data and imported the images to LR. After I edited the keyframes how I wanted them I saved them and clicked on the reload data button in LRT. And the progress bar for that was at maybe 40% very fast, about where the previews had been generated. Then it just continued in the speed the previews were being generated. I had to wait until the previews where done to continue with auto transition.
#4 Gunther
You are right. Currently the "reload" in the second workflow row expects the previews to be created.
I will change this in the next update.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: